Monday, January 4, 2010

Chapter 59: Invitations

Sorry for that long hiatus. I was up in the frozen northeast visiting family and having job interviews and drinking a lot of cola products. Mmm, boy! Now I'm back in the frozen Southern mid-atlantic sitting on my couch and obsessing about how my job interviews went and drinking a lot of tea. And, of course, updating Unabashedly Bad.

So ... where were we? Ah, yes. Dustin worried about Angel's decision to leave a bar with that nefarious ladykiller, Jeff Hardy. Angel and Jeff partook in some frisky business (not the kind that can get you pregnant, just the kind that can spread disease, but who worries about that in this day and age?). Angel repeatedly congratulated herself for not thinking about what she was doing. Jeff invited Angel to brunch. I assume she ordered eggs sunny-side up, both to match her sunny personality and to bring out the blonde in her hair. Today? Jeffgel bore us some more and then we go back to Angel's office. Get comfy folks, this is a long one:

Chapter 59: Invitations

Jeff was funny and easy to talk to. Nothing was awkward, nothing was difficult [except keeping your pants on]. The reason for that, Angel assumed, was that they had no expectations of each other. She was probably just Jeff’s latest conquest and he … well … he was her rebound. No relationship, no worries. So Angel was somewhat taken aback when Jeff asked her to visit him on his vacation.

“You want me to what?”

“Visit me. In North Carolina. I’ve got some time off coming to me and I’m going home for a bit. I want you to come.”

“Jeff …”

“Don’t answer yet. Just think about it. No pressure, Angel. I just like you and want to see you again.”

“Jeff, look, I’m just coming off a really bad relationship and I don’t want to get involved with anyone right now.”

“Angel, if you’re saying that because you don’t want to see me again, that’s cool, but if you’re saying that because you’re relationship-phobic, uhm, seriously, it’s cool, because I am too. I don’t want to get involved right now either. I just think it would be fun. And I know it’s kind of forward of me to ask, but I figured what the hell, you know?”

She smiled at him and shook her head. “You are one bold fellow.”

Jeff laughed. “So just think about it, okay? That’s all I’m asking.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Allright.”

“Allright.” Jeff smiled at her as if she knew she’d be accepting his offer. She wasn’t as sure as he seemed to be that this was a good idea, but she was also not entirely sure she’d be able to turn him down, either. [those slash-burns are pretty mesmerizing]
----

As Angel set up the infirmary that night, she tried to focus on the task at hand instead of letting her mind drift to Jeff’s invitation. She was so lost in thought that she barely noticed Dustin standing in the doorway.

“Hey,” he said, “I startle you?”

“Oh, hey Dustin. Sorry, I was just lost in thought.”

“You got a minute, Angel?”

“Uhm, I don’t know.”

“The card doesn’t start for two hours.” [then what are you doing there?]

“Well there’s a lot more setting up to do.”

“Angel? Are you mad at me?”

She put down the box of gauze she had been aimlessly relocating and sighed. [Good ol’ gauze. Can’t have an infirmary without it.] “No, Dustin, I’m not mad at you. I’m just avoiding the conversation I know you’re trying to start with me.”

“How much longer do you want to avoid it? I can come back,” he said with mock seriousness. She laughed reluctantly.

“Allright.” She sat on a cot and he took a folding chair. “So how was your honeymoon?”

“Great. Beautiful. Three weeks ago.”

“Sounds nice. Except for that last part.”

“What happened, Angel?” [on the honeymoon? Weren’t you there? Oh. Wait. He’s talking about Angel’s life. Of course. How silly of me.]

She set her gaze to a remote corner of the room and exhaled. “Chris and I broke up.”

“Why? Was it because of …”

“It was because he ran into his ex-girlfriend and slept with her.” [uhm, I think there was something that happened before that event, but hey, let’s go with it]

“Oh. Wow[lions]. Man, I’m so sorry.”

“Yeah, well. Those are the breaks, huh?”

“Angel …”

“I’m fine, Dustin. Really.”

“Angel, you can’t be fine.”

“Allright, well, I’m not fine per se, but I’m dealing.”

“With Jeff Hardy?”

“Yes. Ok? Yes. I’ve got my eyes open on this, Dustin. Jeff can’t hurt me. We’re just hanging out and having fun and it’s nothing even remotely serious. And look, I’m sorry I snapped at you before, because I know you’re just looking out for me, but I’m good, OK?”

“Ok Angel. I just worry about you. And I want you to be OK.”

“I know, Dustin.” She gave him a tight hug. “So look … isn’t it about time I meet Alex while she’s not in a big poufy dress? We should grab dinner one of these nights, the three of us.” [so I’m guessing that Angel just assumes Dustin has not manned up about his lip-tryst with Angel, otherwise why the hell would she suggest such a meeting?]

“That would be good. But her sister is having a baby and it’s been a rough pregnancy. The due date is soon and Alex has been spending a lot of time over there.”

“Oh … well, I sure hope everything is OK.”

“Yeah. I’m sure everything will be fine. Maybe you two can meet at the Halloween party.”

“That’s like, almost two months from now.”

“I know, but I’m so psyched already.”

Angel giggled. “Always good to have something to look forward to.”

“Yeah, well with Tahiti behind me, I’ve got to be excited about something ahead of me.” [how about years of wedded bliss? Or further delightful folding-chair conversation with the blondest, beautifullest woman ever?]

“Tell me about Tahiti.”

“It was so insanely beautiful … just so … not here. You know?”

“Not where? Baltimore?”

“Yes. No. Yes. Not anywhere familiar. We travel all over, you know? But we never go anywhere. It was nice to just get away.”

“I’m officially jealous.”

“You should be,” he said with a grin.

“Allright, Dustin. I seriously do have to finish setting up here.” [gauze doesn’t unbox itself]

“Yeah, I’ve got to change anyway. Good catching up with you, Ang.”

“You too, Dustin. And thanks for looking out for me.”

“That’s what friends are for,” he said, leaving her office.

Tahiti, thought Angel. Wouldn’t it be amazing to get away from everyone she knew, even if it was just for a few days? Even if it wasn’t Tahiti, but just North Carolina?

She dialed Jeff’s number.

NOTES:

1) Angel is correct. North Carolina is most assuredly not Tahiti. Case in point: today’s temperature in Tahiti: 83. North Carolina? 25. Ugg.

2) How many of you thought for a second that Angel was not going to call Jeff? No hands? Really? Not one?


ALLLLLLRIGHTY then. Coming up next …

Ladies and gents, there’s a 100% Angel-free chapter up next! Woo-hoo! Tune in next time for a semi-interesting conversation between Chris and Justina! There will be mildly witty dialogue and evidence of my disinterest in US geography. See you then for …

Chapter 60: Passenger

2 comments:

Amy said...

don't complain. Remember Chicago? brrrrrrr
"look, Dustin, I'm not looking for anything serious, I'm just whoring it up in a fashion that a certain Steiner brother might disapprove of, but it's none of your damned business, so back off, but I'm sorry for snapping at you just then... I have a frustrating guaze-related emergency to deal with."

FuzzyOctopus said...

ah yes, Chicago in the middle of February. nothing says "chilly" like wearing a luchador mask to keep your face from getting frostbite