Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chapter 4 - The Omni

Sorry I've been sparse with the updates! I'll try to make sure I update twice a week from now on. My professional life has been a bit nuts lately. This should settle down in the next month or so ... but until then, I humbly present to you ...

Chapter 4 – The Omni

With Marcus’ kiss still lingering on her lips, Angelica unlocked the door to hier office. Bill Watts always insisted that the nurses be at the match location at least 3 hours before the card started.

Madusa Micelli walked through her open door. “Hey Ang, how was the party?”

“Great, especially at the end.” She said mysteriously.

“Come on, what happened? Spill it!”

“OK. Marc Bagwell kissed me, nothing that important.”

“Well, Mrs. Bagwell, planning on having any kids?” Madusa teased.

“Please, it’s not that serious,” laughed Angel.

“I’ll bet Missy the Airhead wasn’t too happy about that.”

“What do you mean?”

“Come on, Ang, everyone knows that Missy has had her eye on Marcus for quite a while.”

“That explains why she hasn’t been very talkative when she’s been around me.”

“Lucky you. She’s probably mad because you’re smarter than her.”

“A bar of soap is smarter than her,” giggled Angel. [uhm. Angel? You picked out your own outfit for Sting’s party. I wouldn’t talk.]

Madusa laughed. “Hey, I’ve gotta go. Rick needs me.”

“Have fun.”

“I always do.” She breezed out of the infirmary.

Ugh, thought Angel, she had no idea what Madusa saw in Rick Rude. His last name described him perfectly. Ugh. For about half an hour, she set up, because there was nothing better to do. Gauze went over there, tape over there, iodine over there, and bandages over there [are y’all taking notes?]

Bobby Eaton walked through her always-open door. “Hey.”

“Hey Bobby, what’s up?”

“Nothing much. Just wanted to talk.”

“Anything in particular?”

“Nope. Just wanna talk.”

“Well, I’m here.” They moved to the folding chairs in the back and sat down.

“I figured we could, you know, get to know each other better.” [if this were erotica, there would be a nurse’s uniform on the floor right now. But it’s not. Apologies to everyone who found this page by googling “nurse erotica” … better luck next time].

“Sure. I was born and raised in Rhode Island [what happened to Rosebud, Idaho? No clue.] I’ve got 2 dogs named Wally and Floyd, a cat named Flufflebunny, and my favorite movie is West Side Story. Anything else?” she said in an overly bubbly voice.

He laughed softly. “No, I kinda mean recent stuff. You know … Flufflebunny?” he broke off, laughing harder now. Angel joined in.

“Fluffy for short, Fluff-o when she’s especially good.” She said in between laughs. She had never found her cat’s name that funny, but now somehow it was hilarious. When the laughs died down, Bobby said “Angelica, your cat’s a great icebreaker. Anyway, I was thinkin’ more like you know, when’d you get into wrestling?”

“Well, about 2 years ago, I went from college to the WWF to be in some sort of medicine job, but they needed a manager, so they decided to hire me.”

“Why’d you leave?”

“Well … I had … problems.”

“Hey, I’m sorry. This must be hard for you to talk about. I don’t mean to pry. I’m real sorry.”

“No, it’s ok. I haven’t talked about this since it happened. It’ll be good for me. I was managing a guy named Marty Jannetty. He was so sweet to me. I fell very deeply in love with him very quickly. I dreamed of him and I getting married and living in Georgia and a whole bunch of other stuff like that.” A sad smile broke across her face. She looked down and continued. “And then one day I found a clipping from some magazine about Marty’s entrance to this other federation. The magazine asked him about me. He said that we had something for about 5 seconds and that I was a dumb blonde. I don’t think I’ll ever forget that. I felt so empty … so used … how could he do that to me? I loved him so much.” She put her hands into her face.

Bobby silently slipped an arm around her. That must’ve been horrible for her, the poor thing. She was such a sweet girl. Who in their right mind would want to hurt her?
“You okay, Angelica?”
Angel nodded and wiped away a few forming tears.
“Thank you, Bobby.” She said and hugged him warmly.
“Hey, what are friends for? Hey, I’ve gotta go. I’m meeting Arn at the gym.”
They said goodbye. Angel washed up and got the office ready.
Marc was next to enter the room.
“Hi Angel.” He greeted.
“Marc! Hi! What’s up?”
“I was wondering – what are you doing Thursday? I thought maybe we could go out someplace.”
“Sounds good to me.” Angel tried to seem as un-eager as possible [did she yawn loudly?] Madusa had taught her that over-eager women scared off men [how progressive]
“Great. I’ll pick you up around 6:00.”
“Perfect. See you then.”
He left her with a kiss that lingered. [gross?]
AT 9:00 PM Sharp, the card started. She treated 3 sprained knees, mild contusions, and a whomp on the head (all scrubs) [scrubs = jobbers]. The main event was Dustin Rhodes and Barry Windham versus Chris Benoit, a guy she hardly knew, and Steve Austin, whom she also barely knew. Dustin and Barry lost, and they had gotten into a shouting match at the end. No one was hurt, but Angel was not at all surprised when Dustin came into her infirmary. [I would assume that the readers are likewise unsurprised]
“Ang – can we talk. Please?” There was a note of urgency in his voice.
“Of course, Dustin have a seat.” She pulled a folding chair. They had probably 20 minutes until she might have a patient. [uhm, I thought that was the main event?]
“Angel, I don’t know how much more Barry and I can take. And we try to cover it up with little excuses.” [are they a couple? I don’t remember writing slash]
Dustin saw Angelica’s puzzled expression.
“Oh, you don’t know about Alexandra, do you?”
Angel shook her head.
“Alexandra York was the manger of the York Foundation. Barry and I both took a liking to her. Barry’s been sore ever since Alex picked me over him. It’s silly ‘cause it’s not my fault, it’s not his fault, heck, it’s not even Alex’s fault really. I mean, if Alex had picked him over me, I would’ve been unhappy sure, but to let it destroy our friendship? I knew that it was bound to cause turbulence. But, heck, to still be arguing about it 4 ½ months after it happened? If he and Alexandra were a happy couple, well, I’d be happy for him. Or at least I’d try as hard as I could to pretend. This is just a mess Angel. I can’t choose between them. That’s like if someone asked you which parent would you rather have killed, your mother or your father [ … yes. It’s exactly like that.] I love Alex, but Barry has been my best friend since as far back as I can remember. Now it seems like whenever something little gets between me and Barry, it gets blown way out of proportion because he’s jealous. This stuff makes me sick.” He was near tears.

Angelica thought that this was one of the saddest tales she had ever heard. Caught between your bet friend and the woman you love. It sounded like a tragic soap opera plot [how meta].
“I don’t’ know what to say, Dustin. I’m so sorry.” She put her arm around him, but it turned into a long hug. She felt a wet spot forming on her shoulder where his tears fell.
“Angel, I don’t know what id’ do without you. Now I’ve gotta go, I’ve got a rather ironic date with Alex. [someone needs a lesson on the definition of irony] Thanks again.”
He gave her a friendly kiss on the cheek, and then left.


NOTES:

1) What is it about Angel that makes men cry all over her? It’s rather disquieting.
2) The best explanation I have as to why Angel’s hometown switched from Idaho to Rhode Island is that I had to do a project on the Rhode Island colony in 7th grade. I must have considered myself something of an expert.
3) Yeah, that’s Chris Benoit up there. How was I to know all that horrible stuff would happen 15 years in the future? If you’re freaked out by that brief mention, you might want to stop reading this blog now, because you ain’t seen the last of him.
4) Can Marcus give a kiss that doesn't linger? What does that even mean? Is he coating his lips in molasses?

COMING UP NEXT … Angel and Marcus step out onto the town. What did a 13-year-old girl who looked like Garth think happened on a date? Tune in next time to find out in … Chapter 5 – The Date!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you made all the men cry in Angel's presence as a way of showing that she was a warm and trustworthy person. Naturally, having a warm and trustworthy person around would make any self-respecting male break-down in a hail of tears. Then, having wiped those tears with the corner of Angle's nurse uniform, the men continue on with their lives of quiet desperation.

The Carter's said...

Oh, Chris Benoit... I still can't quite wrap my head around that. Maybe I could talk to Anjel.

Fuzzy Octopus said...

Is it weird, The Carter's, that when i heard about Benoit, the first thing that popped into my head was my horrible fanfiction?

Yes, yes it is weird.