Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chapter 42: Cry in the Night

Last week, Dustin showed up at Angel's house, cried on her, and slept on her sofa. But you know what? He really didn't cry enough. You could barely even call it "egregious." What do you say we make up for it today in ...

Chapter 42: Cry in the Night

Dustin stepped into his bedroom. Alex was sitting up waiting for him.

“Dustin! What’re you doing here?”

“What?”

“Don’t bother explaining. Barry told me it all.” She said nonchalantly.

“You … you … you were talking to Barry?”

“Well, yeah. I’m just surprised you didn’t find out sooner.”

“Find out what?”

“That I’m sleeping with him.”

“A … Ah … Alex. [ellipses between letters = awesome] You … you and he didn’t. He was lying.”

“Oh, come off it, Dustin.” She yawned. “Barry!” she called, “Come here!”

Barry Windham appeared from the bathroom.

“Hey, Dustin,” he greeted, as if nothing had ever happened between them. Barry climbed into bed with Alexandra.

“What kind of a joke is this? Alex, you’re gonna marry me!”

Alexandra York laughed. “I never said I’d marry you! Did you hear that, Barry?”

Barry was too consumed with laughter to reply.

“Now, Dustin, if you’ll excuse us, we have fantasies to act out! Barry, where’d you put my French Maid outfit?” She searched in the closet.

“Alex …” Dustin pleaded. Tears rolled down his cheeks. “I love you.”

Alexander came out of her closet and approached Dustin. “I know you do. But I don’t love you. I never did. You have to stop blocking out the past. I chose Barry, not you. I’m going to marry him.”

“No. No you didn’t. You’ve got it all wrong, Alex.”

“Dustin, stop it!” She was irritated now. Barry stood next to her.

“C’mon Alex,” said Barry. “Let’s pretend he’s gone, and maybe he’ll take the hint.” Barry wrapped his lips around hers and she melted into his arms.

“No! No! No!” Dustin yelled. “No!” He broke off and began to sob, chest convulsing. [convulsing? That’s something, even for Dustin.]

Angel ran down the stairs as soon as she heard Dustin’s shouts. [Angel? What’s she doing in Dustin’s bedroom … wait a minute … don’t tell me that was all a dream? Awww shucks.]

“Dustin? Oh my god, are you allright?” she stopped when she saw that he was in bed, safe. She rushed over to him and shook him gently. Dustin stopped thrashing around, but couldn’t stop crying [of course].

“Dustin, honey, it’s only a nightmare, wake up.” She shook him harder and he awoke with a start. “Dustin, it was a nightmare, calm down.” She grasped his shoulders.

“Oh, Angel. Thank god.” He blurted out, panting. He wiped at his eyes. Angel handed him a [wait for it … wait for it …] box of tissues. [HUZZAH!]

“Do you want to talk about it?”

Dustin shook his head.

“You sure?”

“Yeah. I’ll be Okay.”

“You had me scared half to death.”

“Did I scream or something?”

“Yeah. You sure you’re all right?”

“Yeah. Go back to sleep, I’m fine.”

“Okay. Sweet dreams, Dustin.” She kissed his forehead.


NOTES:

1) I would say: “wait, how was that a chapter? All that happened was Dustin had a nightmare, cried, and got handed tissues.” But Barry was in it, Dustin got shot down, and Alex had lines. I’ll take it.

2) Dustin, why are you such a wuss in your own dream? Crying while conscious is not enough for you, is it? You have to turn into a puddle of tears while you’re sleeping too?

3) Barry’s strategy for getting Dustin out of the room was awesome. Let’s make out and he’ll leave. Solid plan, my friend.


COMING UP NEXT:

Will Dustin tell Alex about Barry’s outburst or Angel’s couch? Who will Angel share her buffet plate with? Will someone speak now, or will peace forever be held? Find out next week in …

Chapter 43: The Big Day

2 comments:

The Carter's said...

...and that is why I always loved Barry Windham. And I'm weirdly curious to know about Dustin & Alex's sex life--does she wear a French Maid costume for him? Or is it something Dustin's subconscious (sp?) is wanting?

God, this review is making me sound disturbed.

FuzzyOctopus said...

Excellent question re: Dullexandra's boudoir habits. I wondered the same thing as I typed it.

You think you sound disturbed for writing that comment? I wrote this when I was 14. Also, it gets weirder. Just wait. Someone may or may not refer to someone else as a "love-rabbit."