Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Chapter 48 - Confession (Part I)

Welcome back, folks. Boy howdy, is it hot out there today. At least where I live. When I try to take my dog for a walk, she gets to the end of the block and then stares at me as if to say "F this." Dude, I don't blame her. She's covered in a black fur coat. On the other hand, this situation does not stop her from suddenly getting a burst of energy and lunging like a maniac at neighborhood cats. Once she realizes that I will not allow her to pull an Alf and snack on kitties, however, she resumes panting and shooting me pathetic looks.

Allrighty then, where were we? Ah yes, Angel just had a conversation with Felicia, she of the cornsilk tressses, who advised Angel to have a trial separation from Chris. Then Felicia reported back to Violet, who cackled with evil glee. Today: Chris and Angel have it out. This chapter is rife with some unabashedlybad stables, such as tears, ellipses, and excessive descriptors. Bonus: italics. SUPER BONUS: dramatic use of a sock.

Enjoy!


Chapter 48 – Confession

Angel only had time to change and feed her pets [how has the ASPCA not seized them yet?] before Chris arrived. She shooed Flufflebunny upstairs and answered the doorbell. Her stomach could have turned skim milk into butter the way it was churning.

Angel opened the door. Chris Benoit stood there in blue jeans and an Edmonton Oilers jacket. His light brown hair shone in the cold moonlight. When he exhaled, tiny white puffs wafted away from him. He immediately looked up from his feet and locked eyes with Angel. She invited him in silently.

“I missed you, Chris.” She said, taking his coat and hanging it up.

“I missed you too, Sunshine.” He enveloped her in a hug, burying his chilled face in her fragranced hair. “I don’t know how I could have believed him,” he muttered to himself.

“What?” She asked, breaking their embrace.

“Angel …” he began “I …”

“Let’s sit down.” She ushered him to the couch. He stared at his shoes and drew in his breath.

“Angel. I … did something I shouldn’t have done.”

“So did I.” She admitted in a voice barely audible. “Please let me explain first.”

“No.”

“Yes, Chris. Please.”

He looked up at her and after a few long moments, agreed.

“It was just before you left for Japan. I should’ve told you as soon as it happened … but I didn’t and I’m so sorry. I’m sorry for everything.” A choking sob escaped from her throat. “I was in my office and Dustin Rhodes …”

“My God, no.”

“I don’t know what happened or why, Chris, but we kissed each other. You have to believe that’s all it was, Chris. You have to. It was one kiss and that was it. We pulled away from each other and immediately began to …. Oh God. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to do any of this.” She broke off in tears.

“Oh, Angel.” Was all he could say. He stood and walked to the window. “Arn somehow found out about this and he told me. And I got so mad at myself for believing him.” Chris turned and faced Angelica. “But I should confess too.” She looked up at him with a perplexed glaze over her moist eyes. “When I found out about you, I … I … kissed someone else.”

“Who?”

“It’s not important.”

“Who?” she demanded.

“Violet Royce.” [does Angel even know who that is?] He moved back to the couch. “What’s wrong with us, Angel? I thought we were perfect.”

“I don’t know.” She enveloped her head in her arms and cried. Chris’ glance fell to the couch itself, for a piece of material was caught in the cushion. He yanked it out and inspected it. A deathly silence fell over the distraught couple. Angel lifted her head from her arms and realized what Chris was holding in his hands.

“Angel … has your brother visited in the last two weeks?” [huzzah! MBD!]

“No,” she squeaked.

“Now … unless you’ve started wearing men’s socks … I think I need an explanation. Whose sock is this?” His voice was firm and grave. [I thought this was extremely serious when I wrote this, but now I can’t stop laughing at the word “sock.”]

She didn’t say a word. Tears flowed down her face in streams.

“Tell me or I’m out that door and I swear you’ll never see me again.”

“It’s Dustin’s.”

“And … what … What is it doing here? No … please don’t tell me, Angel. Please, please, please.” His strong voice weakened until it faded into a whisper.

“Chris, listen to me. Barry Windham crashed his bachelor party – he needed a friend and I let him stay on the couch. I swear to you that nothing happened.”

“I don’t believe this, Angel!”

He threw the sock on the floor and stood up. “First, you neglect to tell me that you cheated on me with that peroxide blonde cowboy and then you invite him to spend the night while I’m halfway around the world?” What is wrong with you? Or … is it me, Angel? Am I not giving you what you need? Maybe you’re better off without me? Maybe I should just leave now and not look back. I sthat what you want? For God’s sakes, say something.” [holy overuse of italics, Batman]

“Don’t leave me, Chris,” she pleaded. “You have to believe me.”

“Why?”

“Because there’s nothing left for us if you don’t. Chris … nothing happened between Dustin and I that night. [except the usual emphatic hugging]. We had one kiss once … that was it.”

He swallowed hard and walked to the window again.

TO BE CONTINUED …



NOTES:

1) Did Dustin just go home with one sock? Didn't he notice that one of his feet was rather uncomfortable in his shoe? Unless ... he left it there on purpose as a love token. Gross?

2) Dang, there were a lot of tears in this chapter. I mean, even for me.


Woah, nelly. Alright folks, we're going to leave those two crazy kids in this tension-filled moment for now.

Coming up next ...

Changel continue to yammer, cry, and stare at each other. Then Angel makes a phone call that she will probably regret. Bring it!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Chris has a point. Angel is kind of stupid for letting DR sleep over.
I can assure you that if I went home right now and pulled up my couch cushions, I'd find at least 6 men's socks. 6 socks, I mean... not the socks of 6 men. Couches apparently eat men's socks.

FuzzyOctopus said...

What was Angel to do? Turn her BFF away into the cold, harsh Minnesota night to go and talk to his wife? What kind of friend would do that?

Our couch eats pencils. That is less incriminating.