Thursday, October 30, 2008

Chapter 10: Spreading Good News

So I know you were probably pretty bummed out by the Angelessness in that last chapter. Well never fear, my iron-stomached readers, she's baaaaaaaaack.

Chapter 10: Spreading Good News

Dustin bounded into the Minniapolis Arena happier than he had ever been in his life. The world was beauitful, its beauty second only to his fiance Alexandra. His good mood was dampened slightly when he found out that it was Angel's day off [I can't believe that he didn't start weeping]. He spread the good news to Sting, Ricky Steamboat, Ron Simmons, 2 Cold Scorpio, and the rest of his friends. After the match, he decided to call Angel. He asked if he could come over to her her home in Robinsdale for a few minutes [wait ... now she lives in Minnesota? When did this happen?!?]. She gave him directions. It was only about a 15 minute drive from the arena.

Her hosue was pretty from the outside. It was a small brick 2 story house with lots of windows. It had a saltbox style roof [shout out to my 7th grade social studies teacher, Mr. Kleinrock, for teaching me what those were!] and a one car garage outside. He rang her doorbell and she answered promptly. She had on a blue sweater and a pair of faded jeans. She wore her golden hair up in a ponytail, as usual.

"Hey Dustin, come on in before you freeze."

As soon as he was in, he told her the good news. "Angel, I did it! I proposed to Alex! She said yes! Alex is going to be my wife!!!"

She grabbed him and hugged him. [woah!]

"Dustin! That wonderful! [sic] I'm so happy for the both of you! Congratulations!"

They sat down on her powder blue couch.

"You're not allergic to dogs or cats, are you?"

"No."

"That's good." As soon as she said that, a silver tabby jumped up on her lap. "Hey Fluff-o! Dustin, this is Flufflebunny."

He chuckled at the cat's name and stroked her soft fur.

"So when's the wedding?"

"I don't know, we haven't worked any details out, we still haven't gotten over the initial shock I guess. Hey, why are you crying?" [of course]

"I'm so happy for you Dustin! I can't believe it! What did it feel like?"

"It's hard to explain, Angel. Let me tell you what happened."

Dustin told Angel everything that happened, from what Alex was wearing, to telling everyone the news [exciting!]. Angel got them both coffee, spilling Flufflebunny. She came back from the kitchen with a little tan and white bulldog and a brown and black shar-pei treading at her heels. [what? now I know most of what I wrote is completely ridiculous, but this is the least believable thing so far. What dogs don't either bark like maniacs or immediately bound to the door when a visitor comes in.] She set down the coffee and introduced Wally (the shar-pei) and Floyd (the bulldog). "Excuse me for a minute, Dustin. Come on guys. I'll give you some milkbones if you behave, okay?" They followed her back into the kitchen and then she returned without them. Noises of contented munching drived in from the kitchen.

She looked over at Dustin and he looked as if he was about to cry [finally!]. She rushed over to him. She put her arm around him. "Dustin what's wrong?"

"Barry and I promised each other that we'd be the best men at each other's wedding, and now ..."

"Dustin," she said gently, "That's all in the past. I know it's hard for you, but look at the present. You're getting married to the woman you love, you'll be together forever. Try to put your bad feelings aside. You have a future filled with hope and happiness, don't dwell on sadness in the past." [man. that's so deep]

"You're right Angel. You're so right. I've gotta go, thank you."

"Congratulations, Dustin."

"Say goodbye to your furry friends for me."

"I will."

"Angel?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"See you tomorrow."


NOTES:

1) Whaaaaaaaaa? WTF was that ending? Well, Dustin, I guess Alexandra may have liquid eyes that light up with love and hair spritzed into a beautiful short style, but obviously you've got to sort some stuff out before you say "I do." I'm pretty sure I wasn't going for any sort of intrigue, though ... it was all supposed to be platonic.

2) So Angel lives in Minnesota now? Okay. I think my reasoning was that lots of wrestlers hail from Minnesota, so Angel probably should too. On the plus side, at least I finally realized that wrestlers don't live in their dressing rooms.

3) I'm a little disappointed at the paucity of details about Angel's house. Aside from a powder blue couch, what's it look like in there? I imagine there are framed posters of kittens dangling from tree limbs with "hang in there!" written at the bottom. And boxes of tissues everywhere.

4) At the risk of making myself seem like even more of a loser, I had a bulldog figurine and a sharpei figurine named, respectively, Wally and Floyd. A lot of things about me have changed since I was 13 years old, but grey cats, tan and white bulldogs, and brown shar-peis are still my favorite pets. Anyhoo, I know what you're thinking. This story was a perfect place for a Debilitating Pet Allergy. Don't think I didn't know that. This just wasn't the time. Be patient.

COMING UP NEXT TIME ...

Hoooooooooooo boy, we've got a good one on the docket. Ridiculous discussions of modern music, relationships, and S-E-X are on the way in ... Chapter 11: Rick and Scott's Party.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I read the part about 'Dustin's great mood being dampened by Angel being off that day, and then running to tell everyone his good news' and just laughed and laughed and laughed.

...and I don't know, a powder blue couch is pretty indicative. Do you think she's got doilies? For use as emergency tissues, of course.

Amy said...

Yikes! I knew you wouldn't be posting for a bit, probably, and here you've posted 2x this week and I just realized!
I still Love how it's totally ok to tell your opposite-gendered friends that you Love them.