Thursday, December 11, 2008

Chapter 16: Deeper in Love

When we last left our witless troupe of characters, Angel and Chris had just gone on THE BEST DATE EVER, but had somehow resisted any sorts of egregious declarations. Will that trend continue? You can cheat by looking at the tags or you can read for yourselves in ...

Chapter 16: Deeper in Love

Over the next few weeks, Angel and Chris' relationship grew stronger.

They spent one night walking on the moonlit shore of Lake Sinclair in Georgia, one night at a festival in Louisiana, and many more magic nights just talking.

Tongiht, Angel would be bringing her doo-wop records over to Chris' house [oh, this is bad]. Chris was a hard-core Frankie Vallie fan, [oh, this is BAD] but he was willing to listen to what Angel liked.

He was terribly in love with her. She was on his mind every minute of the day. He had never felt this way about anyone else before. He was very happy that she had all but forgotten about his sneeze-a-thon.
---
Angel rang Chris' doorbell. He answered it and she greeted him with a kiss.

"Tonight, you're going to meet the Mello-Kings, soar with the Skyliners, float with the Flamingoes, you'll hear some songs from the Sheilds, we'll dance to the Diamonds, you'll learn to love Little Anthony, youll find delight in the Dubs, and, of course, I have to Play the Passions." [oh, that was awful.]

"You should've been a DeeJay, Angel."

She threw her head back and laughed. "I'm very glad I didn't become one."

"Why?"

"I would've never met the great friends I met as a nurse, but most importantly," she said coyly, wrapping her arms around his neck, "I woudl haev never met you." She punctuated her sentence with a long, passionate kiss." [Oh wow. I feel queasy.]

"Believe me, Angel. I'm just as glad as you. You're an incredible woman. I am the luckiest guy in the whole world."

"And I am the luckiest woman. You mean more to men than just about anyone else on Earth, Chris."

Angel did not add the 3 little words that Chris wanted to hear more than anything else. In truth, Angel was afraid. In a deep, dark part of her soul, she feared that she could not trust Chris with her love, as she had done before with Marcus and Marty. What if he hurt her? How could her heart take it? She had to wait until the right time. She only hoped that there would be a right time.
---

They spent teh whole night listening to the doo-wop melodies. Chris had to admit taht some were catchy. He especially liked At My Front Door by the El Dorados and I Wonder Why by Dion and the Belmonts. [my sincere apologies to all living members of both groups. Dead ones too].

Angel had saved her favorite slow songs for last. Tonite, Tonite, Just to be With You, Tears on my Pillow, I Don't Have You, The Closer You Are, Long Lonely Nights, Teardrops, Lovers Never Say Goodbye, I Believe, and My Desire [you can see a lot of erase marks in this paragraph. I was apparantly really devoted to selecting the right songs].

By the time the Mello-Kings started singing Tonite, Tonite, Chris and Angel were exhausted from dancing and they crashed on the couch. She snuggled up close to him and he wrapped his arms around her tightly. Chris knew the words to Tears on My Pillow and sang along softly, in perfect harmony.

"Your voice is beautiful, Chris."

"So are you." [GOSH. We get the point already!]

She pressed even closer to him, feeling his warmth [...!]. She closed her eyes and let the music and magic of the night flow through her body.

The Closer You Are began to play, and every bad feeling she had left in her dissolved.

"I love you, Chris," she whispered.

"I love you too, Angelica."

NOTES

1) Hooooo boy. Check your blood sugar, folks.

2) What's that you say? Fuzzy, why weren't you one of the cool kids in middle school? Gee, I have no idea.

Now I know what you're thinking. Where's the drama? The tears? The egregious declarations of platonic love? Well ... if you're missing all that, then you won't want to miss ...

Chapter 17 - A Departure - In which one of our beloved characters makes A Departure. Suckitude guaranteed!

5 comments:

The Carter's said...

Oooh--is Tears on my Pillow foreshadowing? Pain in my heart caused by you? By WHO?!

FuzzyOctopus said...

GASP! You know the lyrics too?

I think foreshadowing was beyond my writing talents back in the day. Aside from foreshadowing that took the form of "little did she know her happy times were about to end."

The Carter's said...

I know the lyrics only thanks to the Grease movie soundtrack (on LP!). Which I made my parents buy me a second copy of because my older brothers drew all over ONJ's and JT's faces. Horrors!

FuzzyOctopus said...

Ah! Then you also know a Frankie Valli song! Albeit one from his disco era ...

Amy said...

I feel obliugated to comment on every entry and yet, I can't even think of something to say. Amazing. And, doesn't everyone know the lyrics to Tears on my Pillow?