Thursday, January 15, 2009

Chapter 24: The Visit

Welcome back to another installment of Unabashedly Bad, the website where I shake my head slowly at what a loser I was and you get to chuckle along. On today's docket: Angel and Chris have a useless conversation. Enjoy!

Chapter 24 – The Visit

Chris hugged Bret warmly [is there any other way any of the characters ever hug each other?] while Angel watched, still a bit stunned. She had met Bret in the WWF. He had been a close friend of Marty [when?], but Angel had never liked him.

Bret Hart just had a way of making her feel uncomfortable. He seemed cold and unfeeling, while maintaining an aura of haughtiness and superioriority [sic]. But if he was Chris’ friend, she would try to be as pleasant to him as possible.

“Bret, this is Angelica Kerris. Angel this is Bret Hart.”

“We’ve met,” Bret muttered.

“We worked together.” Angel said, looking at her feet.

Chris, possibly noting the tension between his girlfriend and his best friend, piped up, “Well, it’s time to get going, eh?” [wooo Canada!]

Chris and Bret talked during the ride almost nonstop. Angel didn’t mind all that much [how thoughtful of her]. She would be able to catch up with him when they got to Chris’ house.

Bret stopped at a large two story house painted white with a cherry red trim. There were numerous hanging white flowerpots containing clusters of red geraniums.

Angel, Chris, and Bret got out of the car. Angel’s heart immediately sank – she didn’t know Bret was coming with them!

“My parents aren’t here now, they should be back around 6:00,” said Chris.

“Well, in that case, I’ll be heading home. I just wanted to say hi to them. Bye Chris, keep in touch.” Bret hugged his friend. “See you, Angel.” They exchanged nods.

Bret hopped into his black Beretta [hawt!] and drove away. Angel breathed a sigh of relief.

Chris removed a key from his pocket and opened the front door. The inside of the house was warm and smelled like cinnamon.

“Nice house.”

“I’m kind of partial to it myself.” He took her coat and suitcase and put them in an upstairs bedroom.

“Something up with you and Bret, Sunshine?”

“Nothing important, Chris. We just never really got along.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“I know, but …” his voice fell.

“But what?” she whispered, leaning in close to him.

“Nothing.”

He kissed her. It was a sweet and long kiss.

“I missed you.”

“Me too.”

“Angel, in the letter you wrote me, you mentioned one of the Steiner Brothers. What was that all about?”

She looked away from him.

“Hey, Sunshine. If you don’t’ want to tell me, that’s fine.”

“It’s just hard to explain.”

“Take your time.” He picked up her hand again, a great comfort to Angel. [Will you excuse me? I’m going to go brew myself 30 gallons of espresso before I can continue transcribing this.]

She began her long, incredible story, from her friendship with Curt Hennig to the confrontation with Marie.

“Wow that sounds like a soap opera plot. Are you sure Marie isn’t your evil twin suffering from amnesia?” [how meta! Not.]

“Chris, Please.”

“I’m sorry, Angel. Are you okay with this?”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do about Scotty.” [how about nothing, you blonde busybody?]

“Have he and Marie broken up?”

“I don’t know. I hope not. He’s such a sweet guy. What does he see in a shrew like Marie?” [Look, I mock myself a lot for this garbage, and believe me, I know that it’s deserved, but I’d just like to pat 13-year-old me on the head for using the word “shrew.”]

“Who knows?”

“I don’t understand. She said something that night that really upset me. She said that she couldn’t be all that bad because two of my best friends fell in love with her. It’s true, Chris!”

“So what, Angel? So what if two of your best friends fell in love with her? Why does it matter?” [FOR SERIOUS] Everyone has a different opinion. Now what’s really bothering you?”

“What?”

“I know you. Things like this usually don’t get to you.” [huh?]

“You’re right, Chris,” she said softly.

“What is it?” he cupped her chin and looked into her eyes. Tears filled them and she looked down.

She couldn’t hold the tears back any more. The truth would come out.

---

NOTES

1) Cliffhanger! Someone call R. Kelly!

2) I sincerely hate the nickname “Sunshine.” It’s not that I’m above using pet names. I myself call my husband “Slice” far more often than I ever use his real name (it rhymes with his last name.) I think I just sincerely hate Angel.

3) Of course they’re sleeping in separate bedrooms. To be fair, when we stay at my in-laws’ house, Slice and I have to sleep in separate bedrooms too. And we’re married. Don’t get me started.


What’s that? You can’t wait to see what the truth is? Well then, my friends, you won’t want to mix the next chapter, in which Angel rehashes her past AGAIN. Join us for …

Chapter 25: The Truth

No comments: