Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Chapter 25: The Truth

I knew y'all would be back after that intriguing cliffhanger. The snow is falling (where I live, at least) and there's an inauguration brewing ... what better way to celebrate both than with ...

Chapter 25: The Truth

A dam broke somewhere inside Angel [is it time to have the Detrol discussion?]. All of the tears she had been holding back rushed forward.

Chris pulled Angel to his chest and let her sob.

“Shh. Calm down. It’ll be okay, Angelica.”

“I’ve kept this in for so long, Chris.” [What? What? Oh, this is going to be good! There’s no way we’ll be disappointed by whatever this shocking revelation is!]

“You remember our first date when I told you about Marty?”

All of the feelings that had first filled her when she read the article telling of Marty’s move to the USWF entered her again. She had kept them down in a dark part of her mind for so long. The truth about Marty, the truth about Nightshade, known by no one but Marie and herself, would be told.

“Of course I remember it.” Chris said.

“I left out something. At the time, it seemed unimportant because you didn’t know who Marie was. But now that you do …”

“Only tell me if you want to, Angelica.” [I mean, this HAS to be serious. He’s calling her by her full name!]

“I need to, Chris.”

“Then go ahead.”

She sat up straight and wiped her eyes. This was going to be hard enough, crying wouldn’t help. Looking at her feet, she began. [Wow. What could it be? Did Marie tie her up and force her to watch as she and Marty took turns trashing all of Angel’s doo-wop 45’s? Did Marie and Marty collude to somehow exploit a secret, but debilitating, allergy Angel has? What? What?!?]

“The article had a photo with it. It was a picture of Marty kissing a woman named Magnificent Marie.”

“You mean …”

“Yes. The same Marie who had broken the heart of Mr. P and who is currently dating Scott Steiner stole Marty from me.” [ … And?]

“How can you be sure?”

“About a week after Marty left, I received a letter from Marie. I don’t remember exactly what she said in it, I think I burned it, but basically she called me a few names and told me that she finally got her revenge on me for stealing Mr. P.” [… And?!?]

“But if Marty loved you, why would he do that to you?”

“Who knows? She’s a beautiful woman. Marty was never that bright of a guy. She has incredible powers of manipulation.”

“How could she have been so sure that you’d read the article?”

“She probably told Marty to leave it where I would find it. Which I did.” [ … and …?}

“Why haven’t you told anyone else?” [because it’s completely stupid?]

“I couldn’t tell Mr. P., not after what she did to him. No one else knows about Marty, except for bobby, and he doesn’t know who Marie is. What worries me now is Scotty. Marie—there’s something wrong with her. She’s so revenge-crazed, even after all this time. What if she … I don’t even want to think about what she might do.”

There was a knock at the door. While Chris went to answer it, Angel washed her face.

“What’re you trying to do, Christopher? Lock us out?” bellowed a deep, jovial voice.

“Hi, Dad.” [Wait. Why don’t they have keys? It’s their house!!]

A large man, around sixty-five or so entered, He had graying black hair and piercing blue eyes.

“Where’s Nancy? Nancy!” he called. [ooh, wasn’t that Chris Benoit’s real life wife’s name? Yipes!]

A very small woman with light brown hair and soft brown eyes entered. She looked exactly like Chris.

“For Heaven’s sake, Pascal, you don’t have to shout! Oh, where are our manners? You must be Angelica. Chris has told me so much about you.”

“Don’t worry, most of it was good.” Chris’ Dad said as they shook hands.

Chris rolled his eyes but Angel laughed. It was easy to see where Chris got his sense of humor.

Dinner that night was delicious. Angel immediately liked Chris’ parents. After Nancy and Pascal Benoit went to bed, Chris and Angel stayed up to talk.

“You’re really close to your parents, aren’t you?”

“Yeah.” Said Chris, smiling. “They’re the greatest. So when can I meet yours?”

Angel looked down. “I’m afraid that wouldn’t be possible.”

“Why not? Did they disown your or something?” He laughed.

“No.” She said quickly.

“Then what … oh.” He said, suddenly realizing what she meant. “I’m sorry. That was really stupid of me.”

“You didn’t know.”

“I should’ve …”

“It’s okay.”

“When?”

“When I was young. There was an accident. There was glass everywhere. And the blood, so much blood.” She shuddered.

“Shh. Don’t talk about it anymore. It’s over now.” He soothed.

“Right.” Said Angel, snapping out of her trance.

“You want some coffee or something?”

“No. I think I’ll go to bed now.” Said Angel, standing up.

“Sweet dreams, Sunshine.”

“You too.”

They kissed goodnight. But Angel’s dreams were far from sweet.


NOTES

1) Worst. Secret. Ever.

2) So Chris and Angel have been dating for months, but this is the first time she’s mentioned not only that both of her parents died when she was a child, but that she was there when the accident happened? Not to mention that this is the first time we are hearing about it? What in the what? I’ll bet you anything it’s just because I didn’t want to come up with any stories about Angel’s parents.

3) Also … how is that stupid secret about Marie and Marty somehow more emotionally damaging than the death of both of her parents???? Why is that secret "The Truth"??

4) I love how meeting Chris' parents was such a non-issue.

Coming up next …

Bobby returns, we have stuff rehashed again, and Arn is angry for no reason. Aww, I miss Arn. Join us for ...

Chapter 26: Back Home

2 comments:

Amy said...

"the blood, so much blood..." WTF? That's some scary imagery. Angel should definitely warn Chris about Marie's history of exploiting the allergies of others.

FuzzyOctopus said...

I know! What if she sends him a box of cats!