Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chapter 26: Back Home

Well then ... if you're looking for some sort of follow-up to all of those life-altering secrets Angel revealed in the last chapter ... uhh ... sorry in advance for the disappointment. But if you're looking for the return of one of this story's least dynamic characters, then my friend, you will be richly rewarded. Buckle up tight for ...

Chapter 26: Back Home

After a night of terrifying nightmares, gruesome oens, replaying the death of her parents over and over again, Angel decided to head back home. [see? there was continuity.]

She flew straight to Atlanta [WTF? did she move AGAIN?], where the house show would be taking place. [house show = non-televised matches]

After straigtening up her office, she settled into a leather chair. [she has a leather chair in her office? what office? ... the infirmary? it has leather chairs?]
The cushion engulfed her. Giggling, she opened Homes and Other Black Holes by Dave Barry. There was a knock at her door. After a struggle to get out of the chair, she answered the knock.

"Bobby!" she exclaimed, gleefully hugging her visitor.

"Hey, Angelica." Bobby Eaton replied in the whisper-soft voice Angel had missed so much. [gak]

"What are you doing here?"

"Just visiting some old friends."

"How's Smoky Mountain?"

"Not bad." [compelling dialogue here]

"I'm glad. Chris'll be around later."

"How are you two?"

"Wonderful! He just came back from Japan."

"Can't wait to hear about it." [that makes all of us, Bob. Angel spent two entire chapters yammering about her tragic past] He set down his duffel bag.

"Marcus and I made up."

"What?"

"Well, I was sick of him being nasty to me, so I made up with him." [praise me for being selfless, Bobby!]

"You're amazing."

"Thank you." She laughed, flattered by his compliment.

"Arn called."

"He did?"

Bobby nodded.

"What did he say?"

"He just kind of wanted to put me down a little, rub some stuff in."

"I'm sorry," Angel touched his arm lightly.

"Thanks. I don't really mind." But it was obvious that he had. "Hey, Angelica, I've gotta go. Be back later." he gave her a kiss on the cheek and hugged her again.

"I knew I'd find you here, Eaton."

Angel and Bobby jumped.

"Arn!" Angel gasped. [Yay! Arn!]

"That's right. Live and in technicolor."

"Get out of my office!"

"Shut up, Blondie." Arn grabbed a handful of Angel's silky blonde hair.

"Ouch!" she shreiked as he pulled harder.

"Get your hands off of her," Bobby said quietly, but with force.

"Isn't that what Linda should be saying to you?" [SNAP!] Arn shouted, tugging at Angel's locks harder.

Bobby's usually even temper exploded. With as much force as he could muster, he landed a punch to Arn Anderson's jaw. Arn released Angel's hair and fell to the floor.

Her nurse's insticts kicking in, she took Arn's pulse. [did she think Bobby stopped Arn's heart with a punch to the jaw?]

"Is he okay?" asked Bobby.

"Yes."

Arn stood, holding his jaw. "You'll pay for this, Eaton." he muttered, staggering out.

"I can't believe I did that." Bobby marveled.

"I appreciate it."

"Did he hurt you?"

"No, thanks to you."

"I've never hit him outside of the ring before." he looked at his still clenched fist in wonder. "It felt wrong."

"It was right," she assured.

"I suppose. I've gotta go. You sure you're allright now?"

"I'm fine. Are you?"

"Yeah."

"See you later. Bobby ...?"

"Linda .... is she ...?"

"My wife." He finished.

"Oh."

Bobby picked up his duffel bag and left, closing the door behind him.

NOTES:

1) I heart Arn. You know, you'd think that my deep-seated hatred of faces ("good guys") like Hulk Hogan and Bret Hart would have translated into my fanfic. But no. I do have a few "heels" as main characters, but they all act like doofuses. And Angel is the most sickeningly facey face on the planet. And while I loathe her now, I simply adored her when I wrote this.

2) Yes, I read a lot of Dave Barry. I was pretty convinced that he was the height of wit. I still think his Book of Bad Songs is absolutely hilarious. But that's mostly because of my love for oldies.

3) Folks, I can tell by the handwriting that I'm getting older here. I'm going to guess that I'm at the tail end of 14 at this point. So I'm sorry if plots and dialogue get less stupid from here on out ... but ... uhm, you don't really have to worry too much about that. It's still stupid. We might not come across another "love means hates nothing about," but I've read ahead a bit, and I assure you that things are still rather unabashedly bad for quite a while.

Moving right along ...

In the next chapter, which is so long that I have to split it up some, Chris is ready to drop a bomb on Angel. No, alas, not literally. I'll let you take a guess from the title. His reaction to her reaction? Priceless. Join us next time for ...

Chapter 27 - A New Proposal (part 1)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Who is Linda? You know, since we're BFF and I don't mind gentle caressing on arms and light kissing on the cheek, of course in a completely platonic way... that means we're close, right? Why don't I know your wife's name? and why do I think that much touchy feelyness is normal or acceptable?
also, my word verification today is 'wowlions' which I find hilarious!

FuzzyOctopus said...

Wowlions! I think I'm going to use that as an interjection to express gleeful surprise/mild indignation from now on.

also, re: Angel not knowing her BFF Bobby's wife's name: SERIOUSLY. I may not know everything about my best friends, but I think I'm pretty sure which ones are married and what their spouses names are. Wowlions!