Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chapter 27: A New Proposal (part II)

Chapter 27: A New Proposal (Part II)

When we last left Chris and Angel last Tuesday, he was on one knee and had asked her to be his bride. You’ve been patiently waiting all week … I can’t torture you any longer (except for the usual torture involved in reading this blog). Your wait is over in …


Chapter 27: A New Proposal (Part II)


“Angelica, will you marry me?”

“Chris … I … I can’t.”

“What?” he rose to a standing position.

“I can’t.”

“You … can’t?”

“No. Not now. I’m not ready.”

“Oh.” Chris put his head down and started for the door. “Okay.”

“Chris, where are you going?”

“The locker room.” He said without looking up.

Angel grabbed his shoulder. “Chris.”

He locked eyes with her.

“I love you. I’ll do anything for you. But I can’t marry you yet. I’m just … not ready. Please understand.”

“I understand.”

“You do?”

“Yeah.”

“I get off work at 4:00. [what kind of wrestling card is this??] I’m going to Mrs. Camaletti’s at 6:00. Will you come?”

“Sure.” He lowered his eyes.

“Chris, don’t do this to me.”

“I’m sorry, Angel. I just need to think.” He turned to leave again.

“Chris.” Angel called back.

“Yeah?” he whirled to face her, tears gleaming in his eyes.

“You really understand?”

“Yeah, Angel.” His voice was quiet, angry, and hurt. “I understand. You don’t trust me. You think I’ll hurt you like Marty and Marcus did. You’re the one who needs to understand things better.”

Angel called after him, but he was already out the door.

Chris slammed the locker room door angrily behind him.

“Damn it!” he shouted, pounding a row of lockers. [gasp! He’s swearing?!? He must be angry. Or evil inside.]

Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Peirce cleared out quickly. [woah! I remember those guys! Mostly.]

Bobby Eaton rose from his seat and approached Chris. “Hey, calm down.” Bobby led Chris to a chair and they both sat.

“Should’ve told me that before.”

“What happened?” asked Bobby.

“I just totally blew up at Angel.”

Bobby arched his eyebrows. Chris never rose his voice to anyone. [uhm … he’s a wrestler. 90% of promos consist of shouting] And Angel was the last person he would be expected to yell at.

“She couldn’t go out tonight, so I proposed to her. She said she wasn’t ready. I … I don’t’ know what made me act the way I did, but I accused her of not trusting me. God, I feel like a jerk.”

Bobby squoze Chris’ shoulder. [in the manliest way possible]

“Everyone gets riled up sometimes.”

“I had no right to do that to her.” [Chris, calm down. You weren’t that out of control.]

“I’m sure she understands.”

“Are you always this optimistic?”

Bobby smiled but did not reply.

“So what should I do?”

“Talk to her.”

Chris pondered on this for a minute. [how much pondering does this take? It’s pretty simple advice.]

“Want me to talk to her first? See how she feels?” [oh for the love of PETE will you two stop acting like kids in middle school????]

“Would you?”

“Sure.”

“Thanks, Bob. I appreciate it.”

“Sure,” he said again. [compelling dialogue, as usual]

“I’m gonna hit he showers,” announced Chris, rising. [is that an invitation?]

“Seeya.”
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTES:

1) Bobby seriously irks me. I kind of want to throw acid on him. It’s hard for there to be a chapter where I hate someone worse than I hate Angel, but Bobby wins here.

2) I don’t know why, but I am highly amused by Chris’ reaction to Angel’s rebuff. To me, it sounds like: “Will you marry me?” “No.” “Ok, later.”

3) Of course she said no. I learned the hard way about writing myself into a corner. That being said, I remember being completely confused about where to go from here after I wrote this chapter. Wait ‘til you see the next roadblock I throw in front of their relationship. It’s overwhelmingly dumb.

Coming up next …
Angel yammers on and on and on to three different men about some crap. There is crying. Sounds good, no? See you next time for …

Chapter 28: Who Can You Trust?

4 comments:

The Carter's said...

"Chris never rose his voice to anyone. [uhm … he’s a wrestler. 90% of promos consist of shouting]"

To be fair, Chris didn't do a whole lot of his own promos--he never really got a handle on them. He was a much better glowerer.

However, I have no recollection of the two mid-card guys you mention in this chapter, so I might be way off.

Also, I agree with: "Will you marry me?" "No" "Okay. Later" because it's exactly the same thing I thought :)

FuzzyOctopus said...

Agreed on Benoit's relative glowering prowess. Those words look funny together.

I don't see any reason why anyone would remember Tex and Shanghai ... I didn't even remember them until I was typing up this chapter. I think calling them "mid-card" might be the greatest compliment they have ever received.

Thanks for reading and commenting! You rock.

Amy said...

"Angel, are you still mad at Chris? Circle one: yes, no, maybe
-Bobby
PS. I'll still be your friend no matter what you decide."

FuzzyOctopus said...

HA!!!!!!!!!