Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chapter 27: A New Proposal (part I)

Welcome back, friends. So when we last left our characters, Angel casually informed Chris about her parents' tragic death and Bobby got in trouble with Arn for hugging Angel. Or whatever. Onward and foward:

Chapter 27: A New Proposal

“Hey, Bob, can I talk to you?” Chris asked, rising from his spot on the couch.

Bobby and Chris were hanging around in Chris’ hotel. [not a dressing room? Huzzah! But why does he have a couch in there? Is it a suite?] It was the second day of Bobby’s visit.

“Go ahead.”

“Well, actually, I want to ask you something.”

“Shoot.”

“Show you something, actually.”

“Chris, do you want to talk to me or not?” Bobby asked, laughing.

“Okay, Okay.” Chris reached into his back pocket. He pulled out a small velvet box and opened it for Bobby. A gorgeous diamond ring sparkled.

“Sorry, Chris, I’m already married.”

“What do you think?” asked Chris, completely missing one of Bobby’s rare jokes. [maybe because it wasn’t actually funny]

“It’s gorgeous.”

“Do you think Angel will like it?”

“Who wouldn’t? Are you sure you’re ready to get married, Chris?”

“I love her, Bob. I want to spend the rest of my life with her.”

“It’s a big step.”

“I’ve thought about it for a long time. I’m ready.”

“Is she?”

“I hope so.”

“When are you going to ask her?”

“Tonight.”

“What if she says no?”

“Sheesh, Bobby! I can’t think about that now! Happy thoughts! I need happy thoughts!”

Bobby laughed softly.

“Bobby … will you be my best man?” [calm down, Hoss!]

“Chris, I’m honored, but you haven’t even asked her yet.”

“Well, I was a boy scout.”

“So?”

“I’m always prepared.” [lol. Not.]

“I should’ve known.”
============================

Angel groaned as she watched Steve Austin and Brian Pillman enter the ring on a little monitor in her office [watch those modifiers dangle!]. “Stunning” Steve and “Flyin” Brian were two of the most arrogant, annoying people she knew [pfft, whatever. They were awesome.] But, even though she despised them both, it was her job to help them, and Brian was going to need it.

About ¾ of the way through the match, Brian’s ankle made a loud popping sound. Angel cringed. Sounded like a break [expert medical training kicks in!]. He tagged in Steve, who finished off the opponents with a Stungun.

Angel buzzed for an ambulance because she knew Brian would need one. The break was probably the worst Angel had ever seen. Brian was screaming in pain. He was forwarded to the hospital. After signing all of the release forms, Angel said a little prayer for Brian [when did she become religious?] and cleaned up.

“Hey, Sunshine.”

Angel screamed.

“Geez, calm down. It’s only me.” Said Chris, walking over to Angel.

“Sorry, Chris. I’ve just been a little jumpy lately.” [Ok, this might be semi-not-unridiculous if we hadn’t seen this exact scenario play out twice already.]

He put both arms around her waist. “I’ll say. What are you doing tonight?”

“I promised Mrs. Camaletti I’d pet-sit.”

“Who’s Mrs. Calamari?”

“Camaletti. She’s my next-door neighbor. She always watches Wally, Floyd, and Fluffy for me. She’s going to visit her sister in Wisconsin this weekend, so I said I’d watch her pets for her. You’d be able to come over there, but I’m watching her dog and her three cats, Lilly, Tilly, and Milly.”

Chris sneezed suddenly. “I told you that just mentioning them makes me sneeze.”

“Well I never believed it until now. It’s probably just psychosomatic anyway.”

“You tell that to my nose.” Chris said without smiling.

“Hey, Chris, I was only joking. Don’t look so serious.”

“It’s not that, Angel.”

“Then what is it?”

“It’s all Mrs. Kalamazoo’s fault.”

“Camaletti. And why?”

“I wanted to do it before Bobby left.”

“Do what?” asked Angel, mystified.

He took a deep breath and said, “This.”

He reached into his back pocket and drew out a small black velvet box. Chris dropped to one knee and held Angel’s hand.

“Angelica, will you marry me?”

… to be continued


NOTES:

1) I think I was worse at writing “comedy” than I was at writing “drama.” This is godawful.

2) I was wondering how the heck Angel could have pets. Wrestlers travel 300+ days a year. How can you leave two dogs and a cat alone so much? That’s some neighbor.

3) What was the point of that Hollywood Blondes match? Also, I was a huge fan of gory, violent fiction … how could I not have included more details about that broken ankle? How about some bones poking through the skin? The best I could muster was that Brian was screaming in pain? L.A.M.E.


COMING UP NEXT …

So Chris popped the question … am I writing myself into another corner? What will Angel say? Chris’ reaction to Angel’s answer is priceless. Tune in next time for … Chapter 27 part II!

2 comments:

Amy said...

holy unromantic proposal, batman!
I mean, I got proposed to in a car and it was better than this!

FuzzyOctopus said...

Seriously.

Was your husband driving at the time?