Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chapter 29: Mail

Ok. Sorry again that this one is late. In this thrilling chapter, we get to read some of Angel's mail and endure a painfully "humor"-laden conversation that she has with Rick. Hooo boy!


Chapter 29: Mail

Angel had been away from home for two weeks. Mrs. Camaletti had been getting all of her mail for her. [well that’s a thrilling way to start a chapter]. On Mrs. Camaletti’s hall table, there were 4 letters declaring that Angelica Kerris could win 10 million dollars, 5 bills, a letter from the American Red Cross, a small envelope with a gold foil stamping, and another letter. [are y’all taking notes?]

Curious, she opened the small one first. The letter was an engraved invitation to … Dustin’s wedding! Finally! Oh, this was exciting. What would she wear? While her mind happily raced, the postmark on the other letter caught her eye. Silver Lake, Michigan.

“What’s that little vixen want now?” she said aloud. [seriously? She said that out loud?]

Angel read Marie’s letter.

Angel –

You make me sick. You weren’t content to just steal Mr. P. from me, you’re after Scotty too. Well forget about that. I’ll stop you—no matter what it takes.

~ Marie

Angel shook her head sadly and said out loud: “That woman is insane.”

The phone rang and Angel screamed. “I’ve got to learn to control myself,” she reprimanded herself.

“Camaletti residence.”

“Yes, this is the electric company. Is your refrigerator running?” [LOL. Not.]

“Old joke, Rick,” she laughed.

“Got me, Angie.” Rick Steiner said.

Angel had left Mrs. Camaletti’s phone number on her answering machine. She was glad Rick had called. Marie’s letter had upset her, and Ricks’ cheerful personality was just what she needed.

“How’s it going?” he asked.

“Okay. And you?”

“Bout the same.” [zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz]

“Good to hear. How’s Scott?”

“Not good. That’s mainly why I’m calling.” [so you can interfere in his life again because it’s not as if he’s an adult or anything and after all, you’ve known him for a whole, like, couple months]

“Oh? What’s the matter?”

“It’s Marie.”

“I figured as much. Did they break up?”

“No. But things aren’t good. I was wondering if you’d talk to Scotty Boy about this.”

“Me? Rick, I think I’d be the last one he’d want to talk to. This is practically all my fault.”

“Curt said you’d take the blame for this,” Rick said, more to himself than Angel. [you mean that she’d make it all about herself?]

“Mr. P? You’ve spoken to him?”

“Yeah. We’re good friends.”

“Scott too?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Hasn’t Mr. P. spoken to Scott about Marie?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“And Scott still wants to talk to me about this?”

“Yeah, why?”

“It’s just confusing, that’s all.”

“Yeah, why?” [oh just stick a spork in my pancreas]

“Rick!” Angel cried, feigning annoying playfully.

“Sorry. I couldn’t help it.”

“So will you talk to my brother?”

“Of course.”

“Good. We’ll be in Minnesota Friday. Is that OK?”

“No. Sorry. Chris and I are throwing Bobby a going-away-again-party.”

“Chris?”

“Chris Benoit. He’s my boyfriend.” [my characters are the worst communicators ever.]

“Oh. How ‘bout Saturday?”

“Fine with me.”

“We’re at the Capri Hotel. Know where it is?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay. See you then.”

“Rick?”

“Yeah, Angie?”

“Give Mr. P. my phone number, will you?”

“Sure.”

“Thanks. Bye, Rick.”

“Seeya Angie.”


NOTES

1) So Angel’s Best Friend Ever, Mr. P., doesn’t even have her phone number??? No wonder it’s such a tragedy when people move. Out of sight, out of contact. Except for Rick Steiner, who calls Angel all the time so that she can talk some AngelSense into Young Scott’s life. What a good friend. Who apparently doesn’t even know that Angel has been dating Chris for several chapters now.

2) Could there have been less action in this chapter?

3) What is Marie’s deal, you ask? Why is she sending stupid letters to Angel? Remember, sending letters is her m.o. Too bad this one didn’t have anthrax inside it. I’ve heard that Angel was allergic to that. Anyhoo, don’t worry. We haven’t heard the last from Angel’s arch nemesis.


COMING UP NEXT:

Bobby seems upset but won't tell anyone why and Angel and Dustin talk about sex. Hawt. Join us next time for ...

Chapter 30: Something's On His Mind

2 comments:

Amy said...

Part of me wants to know if you really knew what an engraved invitation was or if it was just something you picked up from dissecting people's smart-alecky comments.
I Love her mail. I like that she gets stuff from the Red Cross because, clearly, all nurses regularly receive main from them.
Where the heck is Chris in all of this? Man needs to restrain his woman from interfering in other people's bizniz.

FuzzyOctopus said...

You got me. I had no idea what an engraved invitation was. I still don't, to be honest. Does it involve a stone tablet?

And yes, good catch. She gets stuff from the Red Cross because she's a nurse. I have no clue whether I assumed all medical professionals got mail from the Red Cross or whether I was trying to show that she donated money to charity because she was the embodiment of all that is good.

Chris is perhaps suffering from some strain of the MartyVirus.