Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Chapter 28: Who Can You Trust?

Welcome to your weekly installment of wrestling fanfiction that I wrote in middle school. Today: Angel tries to sort out her feelings about Chris’s proposal by having three stupid interactions with three stupid people. My dialogue tags get a wee bit out of control in …

Chapter 28: Who Can You Trust?

“Hold still,” Angel chided while she bandaged Dustin’s left bicep.

“Ouch!” He cried as she bumped the wound. “Watch it, will you?”

“Sorry,” she muttered, clasping the bandage. “You’re done. Come back tomorrow if the pain starts up again.” Angel said in a lifeless voice.

“Thanks,” said Dustin, hopping off the examination table. “Hey, Angel, what’s with you today? You angry with me?”

“No Dustin, I’m sorry. I’ve just had a bad day. I shouldn’t take it out on you.” She sighed.

“Wanna talk about it?”

“No, thanks.” [gasp! Did she just refuse the chance to cry and overemote?]

“Allright then. Cheer up, huh?” he kissed her on the forehead and left.

Angel sunk down into the leather couch [wait. Now her office has a leather couch?!?] and pulled her hair from her ponytail, letting it flow over her shoulders. She glanced at the clock. 3:57. Her day was over. What a horrible day it had been. First her argument with Chris, then she nearly attacked Dustin for no reason [uhm, or you just kind of weren’t particularly gentle with his wounded bicep. It’s not like you took a scalpel to his face. Maybe next time try that.] and … now what, she thought as she got up to answer the knock at the door.

“Hey, Angelica.”

“Hi, Bobby,” she murmured.

“Chris told me what happened.”

Angel did not reply. She just looked at the floor.

“He wants to apologize.”

Angel’s face lit up in confusion.

“Why? He didn’t do anything wrong.”

“He thinks so.”

“Where is he? I need to talk to him.”

“Sulking in the locker room.” [oh GLORY.]

“Thank you, Bobby,” she said, hugging him warmly.

--------
Angel knocked softly on the locker room door. There was a light on in the far corner of the huge room. Chris was laying on a bench, hands behind his head, knees in the air. He looked as if he’d been crying […of course].

“Chris?”

He sat up when he heard her voice. “Hi, Angel,” he said in a shaky voice.

“Mind if I sit down?”

Chris shook his head. Angel sat close to him.

“Bobby talk to you?”

Angel nodded.

“Angel, I’m sorry. I truly am. I had no right to say what I did to you. Just the thought of losing you makes me …” his voice cracked and he broke off and turned his head away from her.

She handed him a tissue [HUZZAH!].

“Thanks.”

“Chris,” she began in a voice barely above a whisper. “Chris, don’t blame yourself.” She touched his shoulder lightly. “You had every right to say that to me, because I can’t deny it. I can’t. There’s still a little part of me that doesn’t trust anybody, not even you. I’ve just got to learn not to let that little part of me ruin my life. So please Chris, don’t ever blame yourself for that. With people like you and Bobby [wtf is he doing here?] in my life, maybe I’ll be able to defeat that little part of me, and then I’ll be ready to marry you. Please understand that, because if I ever lost you, I don’t’ know what I’d do either.” She let out a little sob and Chris turned to face her.

“I love you, Angel.”

“I love you too. More than I’ve ever loved anyone else.”

They embraced, heads on each others’ shoulders, tears still falling. A long while later, Angel stood. “I’ve got to go. Mrs. Camaletti’s pets are waiting.”

Chris sneezed. [LOL. Not.]

“Bless you.” Angel smiled and shook her head.

“Thanks.”

Angel held both of his hands and looked into his eyes. “One day, I’ll be ready. I promise.”

“I’ll be waiting. I’ll wait forever if I have to.”

“It won’t take that long,” she said, half-smiling. She kissed him with a new found passion, and then left for home.


NOTES:

1) Was there a point to that Dustin scene? Ok, I didn’t think so either.

2) Was there a point to that Bobby scene? Oh right, he had to inform Angel about Chris’s sulking locale. I’m sure she wouldn’t have checked the locker room.

3) So who thinks Angel and Chris will actually make it to the altar? I mean, he said he’d wait forever. That’s some patience. I’m sure he actually means it and wasn’t speaking figuratively.

4) That interaction between Chris and Angel (Changel?) might not have been too bad, if it weren’t for all the sobbing and clichés and the fact that Angel was there.


Alllllrighty then. We’ve got a good one on tap for next time. I know y’all miss Marie/Nightshade/plot contrivance as much as I do. And I’ll bet you’re thinking to yourselves: “Wowlions! It’s been too long since Angel has interfered in the Steiner Brothers’ lives. And how about some really useless dialogue to pad out the end of a chapter … and could you throw in a casual mention of one of Angel’s BFFs whom she inexplicably never talks to anymore?” Well you’re in luck! All are coming your way in …

Chapter 29: Mail.

6 comments:

Amy said...

OMG, she muttered something... in a lifeless voice? She MUST be upset. What is with this chick and the forehead kisses and warm hugs. She's ubercreepy.
Also, have you ever sen Legends of the Fall? Because in that, Brad Pitt totally takes off on Julia Ormond (who he stole from his dead brother, fyi) and she says "I'll wait for you, as long as it takes... I'll wait for you forever" but then he is gone for like years and sleeps with all sorts of asian hookers and so she marries his other (still living) brother and when Brad Pitt finally does come back to tell her he's actually totally no longer interested in buying the cow, she's all "forever turned out to be a bit too long" and it's sad but you're a happy viewer because you knew all along that she was a tool. In any event... can't wait to see how the pledge of forever turns out in this instance... ;)

FuzzyOctopus said...

I've never seen Legends of the Fall, but if you're suggesting that I have some a good chance of winning a lawsuit that suggests that whoever made that movie stole stuff from me, then hook me up.

Also, I'm not promising that hookers are involved, but it's going to be good. And by "good," you know I of course mean the exact opposite.

The Carter's said...

http://www.sexypeople-blog.com/2009/01/jerry.html

I saw this and thought of you. Jerry Lawler would totally kick Angel's ass (and then he'd take her home and make sweet, sweet love).

In chapter notes, I'm going to start thinking of Bobby as the little Microsoft Office paperclip helper: only there to offer helpful tidbits of exposition but annoying as all get out.

Genevieve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Genevieve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FuzzyOctopus said...

Carters, thank you for that amazing link. Jerry was good, but Greg and Valerie were AMAZING.

Bobby as the paper clip was an insightful analogy. Alas, I fear Clippy Lee Eaton has his very own chapter coming up. Brace yourself.