Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chapter 34: A Talk with Scott

I don't even want to introduce this chapter. It's completely useless. I suggest that while you read it, you play a fun drinking game where you take a swig of your favorite beverage every time you see a set of ellipses.

Chapter 34 – A Talk with Scott

Scotty Steiner sighed with relief when the doorbell rang. He had needed to talk to her for a long time. Curt [Mr. P] had filled him in on the history of Angel in the WWF, and Scott’s head was full of thoughts and questions. He opened the door and greeted her with a hug.

“Hey Ang.”

“Hey Scott. How are you?”

“Same as last night,” he said with a half-smile. “Can I get you anything?”

She shook her head. They both sat on the couch.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

“Ang, it’s awful. Everything’s a mess. Marie and I had a real long talk, and for a while, everything was allright. Then she got … I dunno, weird … jealous. She just broke up with me for no reason.”

Angel looked away from him. “It’s me, isn’t it?” [good GOLLY, Angel, why must EVERYTHING be about YOU?]

“What do you mean?”

“She thinks you’re seeing me.”

Scott paused. Yeah … look, Ang, this isn’t … “

Angel cut him off. “I must be a jinx.” [I don’t think that’s exactly the word I would have selected.]

“What?”

“This is the third relationship I’ve ruined just by being friends with the men involved.” [maybe it’s not the friendship so much as the enthusiastic hugging]

“Angelica, this isn’t your fault.”

“It doesn’t matter. I’m sorry. Do you … do you still love her?”

“I can’t stop. How can you stop loving someone?”

“I don’t think you can.”

“Then do you still love Marcus?”

Angel thought for a second. “I’m not sure I ever really did.” [but you went on one whole date with him!]

“Do you still love Marty?”

“I … wait … how do you know about Marty?” [you are the worst friends ever]

“Curt told me about him.”

“Oh. That’s a hard question.” She rubbed her temples for a long time as she considered it. “I do,” she whispered, in an almost disappointed tone. “I can never forgive him for what he did to me. Never. But, there’s still a piece of me that … Scott, can we change the subject?”

“Yeah. Yeah. I’m sorry. Tell me about Chris.” [how about let’s not talk about her, especially considering that you were practically salivating to get her to your house so she could sort about your problems?]

“Oh, he’s just about the sweetest guy in the universe. I’m so happy with him.”

“That’s terrific. Y’know, I really thought me and Marie had that something special you and Chris seem to have found.”

“Scott, you deserve better than Marie.”

“What?”

“Think about it. How good can someone who will break up with you in a jealous rage be?”

“She wasn’t in a rage.”

“But obviously she wouldn’t listen to you when you tried to explain.”

“Well … no.”

“You’re better off without her.”

“Maybe I am … but …”

“But what?”

“I’m afraid I’ll never find anyone else to love.”

“Scott …”

“Angel, I’ll be 30 years old in three months.” [not mentally, buddy.]

“And I’ll be twenty-six in three months. What’s your point? Scotty, you’re a wonderful person. Don’t worry about life so much. Just let things happen.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, Ang, thanks.” His voice fell as he spoke. “I still miss her.”

“Of course you still miss her. ‘Scuse the cliché, but broken hearts don’t mend overnight. Someone else will come along, and when she does, you’d better invite me to the wedding.”

“You’ll be the first one on my list.”

“Scott, I’m sorry, but I’d really best be on my way. I’ve got a major set of house shows to cover in Topeka.”

“Ok. Thanks for coming here, Ang. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

Scott saw Angel off, feeling better than he’d felt in a long time. Maybe Angel was right. He should just let things happen. From now on, he would go with the flow.

------

NOTES

1) That was Angel’s sage advice. Let things happen? And Scott doesn’t know what he would do without her?

2) No, seriously. He’s been sighing himself into a frenzy because he desperately needed to talk to Angel. She comes over, blathers on about herself, gives him the tritest advice on record, and he’s all better???

3) I … I don’t … know … why I thought … that ellipses … were such … compelling … pieces of … punctuation.

Ok, let’s shake that chapter off …

There’s an AWESOME one coming up next. Violet skanks around and Dustin bumps his head on doorway. You won’t want to miss … Chapter 35 – Topeka

4 comments:

Sloane said...

L...M...A...O...

Your writing is Shakespeare material compared to the crappy writing I did in my marble notebook.

I, too was a fan of the ellipses.

FuzzyOctopus said...

Do you still have your marble notebook? I bet it would make for a good blog!

I still overuse ellipses ... I enjoy the way they convey both pauses and ... ironic distance.

Thanks for reading!

Amy said...

Oh man, I haven't been reading in forever and now I'm trying to catch up while neglecting responsibilities at work. Woo! This is just fantastic!

FuzzyOctopus said...

Hooray! Welcome back! Boo work!