Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chapter 35: Topeka

Alllllright, ladies and gents. Trouble’s a-brewin’ here, and her name is Violet. And Asstin fans? Stuff is GOING DOWN. I hope no one is scandalized by the salaciousness of …


Chapter 35: Topeka

Chris Benoit opened his dressing room door and started to lace up his boots. He noticed movement in the corner shadows. He flicked on the lights. [he was lacing his boots up in the dark?]

“What the heck are you doing in here?” Chris exclaimed.

Violet stood. “Oh, Chris, I’m sorry! Did I frighten you?”

“No, but what are you doing in here?”

“Stunning Steve told me he’d meet me in here.”

“Austin? What’re you hangin’ around with a creep like that for?”

“I don’t’ know.” Her voice broke and tears spilled over her cheeks. “It’s just … I’ve been so lonely here, and he was so nice to me, and … and …”

Chris sighed. Here we go again. He sat next to Violet and awkwardly touched her shoulder. “C’mon, don’t’ cry, Violet. It’s not so bad. Some girls go good with creeps.”

This made her cry harder.

“Oh, geez. I didn’t mean that. I mean … Oh please don’t cry, Violet.”

She sniffled. Chris glanced down at his watch.

“Violet?”

“Yeah?”

“I hate to do this to you, but I have a match in 3 minutes and the only wrestling gear I have on is half a boot.” [why would you put your boots on before your tights?]

“I’m sorry.”

“Oh, no. No. Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault I’m slow.”

She apologized again anyway, then left.
---------

Dustin Rhodes stooped to enter Angel’s office.

“This doorway is too low.”

“You’re just too tall.”

“Hey Angel.”

“Hey, Dustin.”

“How you doin?”

“I’m OK. You?

“Just peachy.”

“What’s up?” she asked.

“Would you check this out for me?” He gestured towards a spot on his head. Angel pushed his hair away from the spot and saw a huge lump forming [I swear I didn’t mean for any of this to have any sort of erotic subtext. But wow. Or, rather, bow chicka wow wow.]

“Ooh, how’d you do that?”

“I banged my head on one of these stupid doorways.”

Angel reached for an ice pack. She pressed it against Dustin’s head.

He smiled.

“What?”

“You have the same color eyes as me.”

“Hey … you’re right.”

She leaned a little closer to adjust the pack, and it happened. No one planned it, it just happened.

Their lips met. The ice pack fell to the floor with a thud. He put his hand on the small of her back. Suddenly, both of them pulled back as if stung. They both began speaking rapidly at once.

“Oh, Dustin, listen, I …”

“Angelica, this wasn’t …”

“Neither of us meant for this to happen, right?”

“Right.” Dustin said.

“Ohh … I can’t believe what just happened.” Angel wailed.

“Me neither.”

“It was just a mistake, right Dustin? People make mistakes all the time.”

Dustin put his head in his hands [shout out, Anonymoleg!].

“Angel, I’m going to get married in a week and a half! I can’t be … oh, God.” He rose and paced, running his fingers through his hair rapidly. He stopped in the middle of the room and seized the sleeve of Angel’s uniform. “Angel, I love you as a friend and nothing more. What just happened was …”

“Meaningless.” Angel finished.

“Yes.”

“I agree. That’s exactly the way I feel.” She exhaled deeply.

“Ok?”

“Ok.”

“Should we tell …”

Dustin’s question was interrupted by a loud rapping on the door frame.

“Come in.” [come in to what? The door wasn’t closed.]

“Hey, Sunshine.” Chris greeted. “Uhh … bad time?”

“Oh, no. no.” Dustin said. “I was just leaving. See you later.”

“O---K. Something up, Angel-face?”

She avoided his eyes. “No, Chris. Listen, can we talk later, though?”

“Well, Sure. You allright?”

“Yeah. Yeah.”

“If you say so. Busy night?”

“Yeah.” (in more ways than one) [woah! Was that prescient snark?]

“Ok. See you later.”


--------------
NOTES:

1) Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SNAP!!! Violet, you were wasting your efforts. Angel the Virtuous can tank a relationship all on her own.

2) In my experience, denying any feelings that you have for someone after you have “accidentally” kissed ALWAYS works. That’s why all of the relationships I had in college were so healthy.


Hoo boy. Well, I'll bet you'd like a break from all of that intense drama. Ask and ye shall receive, because coming up next is ...

Chapter 36: Bobby and Linda.

1 comment:

Amy said...

what!? I'm sorry, what?!?!
yeah... accidental kisses totally always work out if you ignore them...
... ellipses...