Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chapter 36: Bobby and Linda

So last week we saw deception, cheating, and boot-lacing. This week? Talking. Suck it up, folks, it's ...

Chapter 36: Bobby and Linda

Linda Eaton was one of the few people on the planet that could make Bobby laugh, and she was certainly the only one he could ever fall in love with. If he couldn’t get her back, he didn’t know what he’d do.

Now, sitting on her couch – their couch with her, he had a sudden, horrifying thought. “My marriage depends on the next thing I say.”

Linda sat next to her husband. She was pretty woman, with long, wavy auburn hair streaked with premature grey. It was silky and fine and usually worn in a loose bun at the nape of her neck. She had grayish-blue eyes and very fine features [what does that mean? I had no clue then, I have no clue now. Also, what is she wearing? I so wish I had included more outfit descriptions. Alas, I’ve never been particularly interested in clothing.] Bobby couldn’t believe how incredibly lucky he was to have her.

“What do you want to say to me, Bobby?”

“Linda, listen. Angelica and her boyfriend Chris offered to help me by talking to you, but I … I … oh, I dunno. I guess I just wanted another shot. Lin – I’ve never been good with words, but I love you with all my heart. Angelica is like the little sister I’ve always wanted. I’ve explained this all already, but … Oh forget it. You’re either gonna believe me or not, Linda. What I say really doesn’t matter.” He got up to leave.

“Bobby Lee …”

He stopped abruptly at the sound of his full name.

“I’m sorry for not believing you before. It was just …”

“You believe me now?”

“Yes.”

“We’re OK then?”

“Yes.”

“Oh, Lin, that’s all I needed to hear.”


NOTES

1) What? How was that an entire chapter? You know, I remember writing this one, and thinking that I had no clue why Linda would suddenly believe him, but that I didn’t want them to break up. So I just left it to the ellipses. Good ol’ ellipses. Implying what I’m not creative enough to say.

2) Those are some awesome communication skills you have, Boblinda. Just sweep it all under the rug. I’m sure your marriage will be fine.

COMING UP NEXT ...

I assume you all breathed a collective sigh of relief to learn that Bobby and Linda's marriage is safe. At the very least, this means that there's one less character to dissolve in tears all over Angel. Speaking of Angel, I'll bet you're wondering what would happen if she spilled her dirty secrets to Clippy. Find out next time in ...

Chapter 37 – Bobby’s Last Day

No comments: