Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chapter 33: Turning Up the Heat (Part III)

How ‘bout them Tar Heels?

Are y’all ready for the thrilling finale of this chapter? I know I am. So far, Bobby has had the lamest party ever, which he made even lamer by crying about his wife. Chris made coffee and Angel patted Bobby’s arm. It’s all uphill from here. Cue the bow chicka wow wow music, because the heat is getting turned up in …

Chapter 33: Turning Up the Heat (Part III)


Angel sat next to Chris on the couch.

“Some party,” Chris commented, handing angel a cup of coffee.

“I’m just happy we could help him.”

“You’re too nice, Angel.”

“What?”

“Nevermind.”

Angel sipped her coffee and sputtered. “Geez, Chris, what did you do to this coffee?”

“Coffee? That’s not coffee. That’s the blood of ten thousand millipedes.”

“You are disgusting.”

“Want a refill?”

“I’ll pass, thanks.”

“You know Angel, we still have time to have a party of our own.”

“Oh really?”

“Uh-huh.”

He pressed his body close to hers and they shared a long, passionate kiss. Chris began to untuck her shirt from her jeans [HEY NOW!], and Angel pulled away. [that’s better.]

“What is it, Sunshine? You’ve never minded when I’ve done this before.” [was she drugged?]

“I know, Chris, and I love to have your hands caress me like that [eew], but we have to talk.”

Chris smiled. He found it charming that Angel called feeling her up being caressed. “Talk about what?”

“Chris, have you ever slept with anyone?”

“Angel …”

“No. Answer me. It’s not like I’m going to get mad.”

“Well, yeah. I lost my virginity in my second year of college.”

“Who was she?”

“Geez, Angel. Her name was Justina Foster.”

“Did you love her?”

“Yeah, I loved her. We just drifted. What’s the third degree for, huh?”

“I don’t know,” said Angel.

“Then it’s my turn. Who was your first?”

“Mr. Rogers.”

“C’mon.”

“No, really. We spelled out dirty words with letter blocks.”

“Be serious.”

“I’m a virgin.”

“I said be serious.”

“I am being perfectly serious.”

“You didn’t sleep with Marty or Marcus?”

“No.”

“Well … what are you waiting for?”

Angel smiled. “Marriage.” [10 bucks says that was a self-satisfied smile]

“Why are you bringing this up, Angel?”

“Honestly?”

“No. Lie to me.”

She ignored his comment. “Well, Chris. I’ve been wondering. Why should I lose my virginity on my wedding night when just about everyone else doesn’t give a damn about morality?” [here we go again]

“Angel, if everyone else …”

“I know, I know. If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you too.”

“Actually, Ms. Know-it-all, I was going to say ‘If everyone else plugged in a Cuisinart standing in a puddle of Kool-Aid, would you too?”

“That I would do.”

“The point is, Angel,” said Chris with a sigh, “You are your own person. Everyone is. And you should be proud of being a virgin.”

“I am … it’s just …”

“Just what?”

“Sometimes I want to give myself to you so bad.”

“Maybe you don’t have too long to wait.”

“What do you mean?”

Chris shrugged.

“You were talking about me us marrying again, weren’t you?”

“I guess I was.”

“Oh, Chris …”

“I love you, you love me …”

“You would look good in a big purple dinosaur suit.”

Chris knew Angel hated talking about getting married so he dropped the subject with a sigh. He put his hand behind her head and kissed her lightly on the lips. “I’ll love you forever, Angel. I knew that from the first time I saw your beautiful face that we were meant to be together.” He started to say more, but Angel put her finger on his lips and ran her hands through his baby-soft brown hair. He leaned close to kiss her, and the phone rang.

“Sorry, Chris,” she got up to answer it reluctantly.

“Hello?”

“Angelica?”

“Yes?”

“It’s Scott Steiner.”

“Hi Scott. How are you?”

“Not too good.”

“What’s the matter?”

“Ang, it’s a mess. You’ll be here tomorrow, won’t you?” [good golly, Scott. Co-dependant much?]

“Of course.”

Scott breathed a sigh of relief. “Great. I just needed to be sure.”

“You OK Scott?”

“Not really.”

“Hang in there.”

“Thanks, Ang.”

“Anytime.”

They said goodbye and Angel returned to Chris, who had quizzical expression on his face. “Scott Steiner,” Angel answered the question before it was asked.

“Oh?” an eyebrow arched.

“He’s my buddy.”

“Buddy?” both eyebrows arched.

Angel threw a pillow at Chris. “Stop being so jealous.”

“I can’t help it. The thought of you with another guy …”

“Revolts me,” Angel interrupted. “You’ve got nothing to worry about,” she kissed him on his cheek. The phone rang again. Angel mussed Chris’ hair. “Be right back.”

“Hello.”

“Stay away from him.”

“Excuse me?”

“Don’t go near him tomorrow.”

“Who is this?”

There was a click as the other person hang up. Angel slammed down the receiver.

“Sunshine?”

“Nevermind.”

“No, what?”

“Marie.”

“Oh, Angel.”

“Chris, I don’t want to talk about her now.”

“Sorry. Don’t let her get to you,” he stood and grabbed his coat from the nearby rack.

“Where are you off to?”

“Sorry, Sunshine. My day starts early tomorrow.” [and let’s face it, it must be at least 8:30 by now.]

“Okay,” Angel pouted. He kissed her warmly and left.

His mind was full of thoughts. Justina Foster. He hadn’t thought about her in years. Where was she now? Chris shook her head. Who could even think about Justina Foster when he had Angel?


NOTES

1) I suppose that there’s no need for me to rehash the “morality” eye-roll, but seriously. Angel. Saying that you don’t want to sleep with someone before you’re married because of morality implies that you tie equate premarital sex with immoral behavior. Which, correct me if I’m wrong, usually suggests that a person has a religious objection to premarital sex. So look, whatever, no problem with that, but seeing as how I was a completely areligious child, I’m just going to bet that Angel herself was likewise areligious. Her objection to sex, therefore, is merely a way for her to hold herself above her peers, judge others, and, perhaps, refuse to commit to anyone. My objection to sex when I wrote this was that it sounded gross. I think that’s a good attitude for 14-year-olds. I suppose my idea of “morality” also came from my mom. When I got “the talk” from my mom, she told me that people should wait until they’re married, which I now find hilarious, considering the fact that she and my father cheated on their respective spouses with each other, then divorced their spouses, shacked up with each other for a year, and then got married on my dad’s lunch break. Also hilarious: when I was 22, I told my mom that me and my long-term boyfriend weren’t sleeping together, she said, and I quote, “that’s not fair to him!” I suppose she thought she knew best, and maybe she did, because the fact that he didn’t care whether or not we slept together should have been a clue to me that something was amiss in our relationship (or that he secretly preferred the company of men, which, as it turns out, he did. But that’s another story). Uhmm … where was I? Oh yes. Angel. She’s basically just a paragon of virtue. And she needs everyone else to know that.

2) I give Angel a lot of crap for being Angel, but hey, Chris is pretty passive-aggressive about the whole marriage thing, isn’t he? Back off, bro. I mean, I can see where it would be frustrating, but dropping all of those subtle “hints” isn’t helping your case.

3) Marie is crazy. Scott is needy. Got it.

4) “Who could even think about Justina Foster when he had Angel?” Obviously you, Chris. Trouble’s a-brewin!


Coming up next …

Angel talks with Scott about his relationship problems. Angel somehow makes it all about herself. Of course.

Tune in next time for …

Chapter 34 – A Talk with Scott

2 comments:

The Carter's said...

OK, drop Angel and just blog about your life growing up. You are your own soap opera.

FuzzyOctopus said...

hee hee. I think that's kind of what I'm doing writing this. I didn't plan on it, but all kinds of crap is starting to make sense to me. It's like that Deep Thought by Jack Handey: "Too bad you can't just grab a tree by the very tiptop and bend it clear over the ground and then let her fly, because I bet you'd be amazed at all the stuff that comes flying out."