Monday, May 4, 2009

Chapter 37: Bobby's Last Day

In last week’s exciting installment, Bobby and Linda made up for some reason. Phew. Can Bobby use his recent success in resurrecting his marriage to help Angel with her relationship problems? Also, did you know that Bobby is from the south? I sure did. And I faithfully represented that southernness by replacing the final consonant in several words with an apostrophe. Witness my mastery of dialect in …

Chapter 37 – Bobby’s Last Day

Bobby Eaton hopped up on the cot next to Angel.

“Hey.” He smiled fully. [someone alert the media. Clippy’s smiling fully!]

“Bobby? Is that a smile?” Angel’s heart leaped.

“She believed me!”

Angel gave him a huge hug. [isn’t that how all this trouble started in the first place? Lay off the hugs, blondie.] “That’s wonderful. What changed her mind?”

“I don’t know and I don’t’ care,” he said firmly.

“Bobby – when are you going?”

“An hour or so, why?” [because we are all counting down the minutes]

“You got time to talk with me?”

“I always have time for you, Angelica. What’s wrong?”

“Well … I need some advice.”

“Ok, I’ll do my best.”

“This is between you and me … allright?”

“Sure.” His expression darkened. “What is it?”

“Umm …” She took a deep breath, “Yesterday, I was fixing up Dustin Rhodes’ head, and … well … everything was happening so fast … and the next thing I knew, we were kissing each other.”

“Oh, geez.”

“Yeah.”

“Did you tell Chris?”

“No. that’s what I need your advice for. Should I tell him or not?”

“Well … how do you think he’ll react to it?” [I’m sure he’ll be doing cartwheels. What kind of dumbass question is that?]

“I wish I knew, Bobby.” [You wish you knew? What kind of dumbass answer is that??]

“Hmmm … I think you should be honest with him. Tell him it was a mistake … It was a mistake, wasn’t it?”

“Of course. I love Chris, and Dustin’s gonna get married in a week and a half.”

“That doesn’t mean anything.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying you two must have some feelings for each other to have kissed like that.”

“Oh, Bobby, I don’t …”

“Angelica, think about it. Could you have done the same thing with Paul Orndorf or Leon?”

“I … I guess not.”

Bobby was silent.

“So, what does this mean?”

“I dunno, Angelica.”

“I love Chris, I really do.”

“I never said you didn’t. Your feelings for Dustin probably aren’t that big if you’re just realizin’ them now.” [your logic is impeccable]

“Oh Bobby, I feel so guilty.” [I can’t imagine why.]

“For havin’ those feelings for Dustin?”

“Yeah. Chris is such a wonderful guy. I feel like such a … slut.” [I think trollop might be a better word]

“Angelica, don’t say that. Feelings for other people are normal, so long as they’re not too urgent.”

“They are?”
“Sure.”

“You’ve … felt things for someone other than Linda?”

Bobby paused, considering the question. “Yeah. But only little twinges sometimes.” He stopped and uttered a short laugh. “I’ve never told anyone else this before, but … uh … I had a little bit of a crush on Madusa Miceli for a while.”

“No.” She gasped in disbelief, giggling a little.

“Yeah. Nothing big. It never made me want to leave Linda or anythin’ crazy like that, but … It was there.”

“That’s so weird. Duce and I were friends [yeah, whatever happened to that? Oh yeah, she moved and thus erased yourself from Angel’s consciousness.] and I remember her once saying she didn’t think you liked her at all.”

He grinned. [why?]

There was a moment of silence. A thought entered Angel’s mind. “You know, Bobby, you remind me so much of my big brother Danny.”

“I didn’t know you had a big brother.” [that makes all of us, Clippy]

“We’ve been out of touch. He lives in L.A.”

“I remind you of him?”

“Yeah.” Her answer was short, but enough for Bobby.

“Funny, I told my wife yesterday that you were the little sister I’ve always wanted.”

“See you on Thanksgiving.” They both laughed.

“I sure am gonna miss you, Angelica. You’ve been just about the best friend I’ve ever had.”

“Me too, Bobby. I wish you could stay a little while longer.”

“Jimmy an’ Stan, they’re good guys, and wrestlin’ there is a lot more fun than it is here, but you and Chris are here. It’s frustrating.” He hopped off the cot. She followed.

“You promise you’ll visit as soon as you can?”

“I promise. You gonna tell Chris?”

“Yeah. I hope he understands.”

“I think he will.” He moved to the door with her. “I hate goodbyes.”

“So do I. Especially when it’s the second time around.”

He smiled and gave her a tight hug. “I’ll seeya soon.”

“Okay. Thanks for the talk.” [good GOLLY, will you stop with the pleasantries? Y’all seriously have the least interesting interactions on the planet.]

“Anytime. And I mean that.”

“What’re big brothers for, right?”

“Right.” He smiled and hugged her one more time [of course], then he left for Smokey Mountain once again.


NOTES

1) Good riddance yet again, Clippy Lee. He’ll be gone for a good long while, folks. I hope that doesn’t make you turn away in droves.

2) So Angel has an older brother we’ve never heard about? Which is most likely? (A) we will never hear of him again, (B) he will function as a deus ex machina (C) he will become a recurring character – a slick, hug-avoidant Hollywood lothario who will serve as Angel’s foil (D) we will find out 15 chapters from now that he has died in a horrible car crash. There’s only one way to find out … that’s right. Keep on reading.


COMING UP NEXT ….

Will Angel tell Chris? Will Chris ever get a boot laced in peace? Will I develop a better sense of what constitutes witty banter? Tune in next week for …

Chapter 38: Chris’ News

No comments: