Friday, August 15, 2008

Bitter Words, Part II

Bitter Words, Part II

So I basically have two main tropes so far: allergies and crying. I have no idea why. At any rate, I present to you a thrilling sequel that features both!


Bitter Words, Part II:

3 days later

As Mr. Perfect sat in his room opening his mail he started to sneeze. He could hardly stop to take a breath. Fourtunately he sneezed very loudly and Anjel could hear him 2 doors down. She entered his room through his open door.

“My Gosh, I’ve never heard anyone sneeze so much! Are you OK?” she asked

He couldn’t say much. He just kept sneezing. She noticed a trace of perfume in the air and recognized it as her favorite, Tropical Mist. Wait a minute! It was coming from a note on the table. She picked it up and ran into the hall with it. She heard him stop sneezing and tore open the letter. A thought crossed her mind. She was reading someone else’s mail!

She dismissed the thought and read the letter.

“God Bless You” – Hatefully Yours, Nightshade [I drew a crescent moon next to her signature]

She entered Mr. P’s room.

“Are you allright?” she asked. He nodded and she washed her hands.

“It was from Nightshade, wasn’t it?” he asked. She sat down next to him.
“I’m sorry, Mr. P.” said Anjel sympathetically.

He drew in a deep breath and sighed. There was an akward moment of silence. Anjel studied his face for his feeling, but he didn’t show them.

“How’s Marty?” he asked her. “He’s out of the hospital, but he has been acting very, very strange even before the match. He’s never home, he never tells me where he’s going, and comes back exausted and sometimes angry. More than once I’ve noticed some bruises or cuts. When I ask him about it he goes nuts on me!” she told Mr. Perfect [gee, did I drop enough anvils there?] “I just don’t get it anymore” she said

Mr. P. sneezed again. He looked sadder than ever. Poor thing. He’ll never be able to sneeze without thinking of Nightshade. She touched his shoulder. “You can talk to me if you want. It’s probably better for you not to bottle up your feelings. It’s been almost a month. I know how I get when I can’t talk to someone.” she said.

“Well, I’m not you!” he snapped. “I’m sorry Anjel, you know my temper.”

“It’s allright.” she said.

“No, it’s not, I can’t let Nightshade do this to me. After all we meant to each other, she ended our relationship. But it was my fault, too. (He sighs) I never should have said some of those things. I wish I could take it all back. I wish I’d never signed that match. (pause) But wishing won’t get us together. Nothing will. We are through. I loved her, Anjel.” He brushed away his tears, but more came. He stood, ending the touch of Anjel’s comforting arm around his shoulder.

“Are you going to be O.K.?” she asked.

“Yes, Thank you, Anjel.” he said and kissed her cheek.




NOTES

1) Anjel’s head injury must’ve been nearly fatal considering all the hospitalization. My dad had a wicked concussion once from trying to ice skate down our driveway … he spent like 6 hours at the hospital.

2) Don’t worry. You didn’t see the last of that evil vixen, Nightshade. She’s not going to forget about our poor little Mary Sue.


COMING UP NEXT: Chapter 14: A Turn of Events, in which all those Marty anvils hit the floor in a completely ridiculous fashion.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yay! Mis-imagined dressing room tag! Maybe Marty is secretly street fighting as an outlet for his emotions, since he never speaks in public and his wife is constantly hugging other men.

Amy said...

Oh PS. I Love that Anjel actually feels a little dirty about reading someone else's mail. My new name for her is 'Anjel Antihistamine.' She just rescues others from allergens left and right.

FuzzyOctopus said...

Oh don't worry ... you'll find what Marty is hiding soon!

The guilt over reading someone else's mail is one of my favorite parts. And I adore your nickname!!! AA!

Anonymous said...

I keep expecting some sort of sexual encounter. Come on G, having a woman in a nurse's uniform tell a man "You know how I get when I bottle things up inside" does raise expectations.

I never knew your father got a concussion from ice skating down the driveway.

FuzzyOctopus said...

We've got a long way to go for sexual encounters, lady jay. But I enjoy the "raised expectations" pun.

It's amazing what alcohol and a frozen driveway do when combined.