Thursday, August 21, 2008

Chapter 1: Introductions

Well, I can tell by both the handwriting and the wrestling references that time has passed. I’m going to guess that I was 13-14 when I wrote most of these stories, but I didn’t start putting dates next to them until the next marble notebook. Anyhoo, in my advanced age, I decided that calling my heroine “Anjel” was too immature. I figured that Charlotte Theodosia must be a WWF stage name, and that her real name was Angelica Kerris. Never fear, this wasn’t a signal that I was going to start writing compelling prose. It’s all still dreck. Drecky, drecky dreck.


Chapter 1: Introductions

“Allright Ms. Kerris here is your 4 year contract as a fist-aid Nurse to WCW.”

Angelica signed it.

“Congratulations, Ms. Kerris.” Said Ole Anderson

“Thank you, Mr. Watts, Mr. Anderson/”

“You begin tomorrow at 9:00 AM. Bill will show you around the building you’ll be in – the Columbus Areana.” continued Ole.

When they arrived at the areana, Bill Watts showed her her office and where all of the medical supplies were located. He the led her around the rest of the building and to where all of the exits were. [safety first!]

“Now I believe some of the wrestlers are already here—why don’t we go and meet them?” Asked Bill Watts. [what are they doing at an empty arena? And what is Angel going to do when she gets there tomorrow at 9 AM? I’ve been to plenty of wrestling cards, and they pretty much all start at night]

Mr. Watts led her to the “Face” dressing room. The Columbus Arena was small, so all of the “good guys” shared a dressing room, and all of the “bad guys” shared another. [ooh, I’m getting closer to a realistic portrayal of dressing rooms.]

Mr. Watts knocked on the door. Angelica smoothed her pure white nurse’s outfit. “Everybody I’d like you to meet WCW’s new nurse, Ms. Angelica Kerris.”

“Well, Mr. Watts, everybody is just me.” Said a male voice with a Georgian accent. [Ang just can’t get away from those Georgia peaches]. Out of the dressing room stepped a man with brown hair. ??He was wearing a tee-shirt and jeans. He offered his hand to Angelica.

“Nice to meet you” said Angelica gazing into his deep pools of brown eyes [eew?]. He was gorgeous. A living dream.

“Likewise. My name is Marcus Alexander Bagwell. My friends call me Marc.”

“I’m Angelica, but my nickname is Angel.”

“By the looks of you, the name fits.” [hurl!]

She blushed. They stared at each other for a few more seconds. Then they both looked away, embarrassed that Bill Watts was looking on. “See you around Angel.” “You too Marc.”

They left the Dressing Room and headed for the “heel” Dressing Room.

“Don’t expect the same respect from this bunch.” Mr. Watts said and knocked on the door.

“C’mon in, make it quick” called a male voice with a deep, gravely sound. In the room, Mr. Watts introduced Rick Rude, Bobby Eaton, Arn Anderson, and Leon White (aka Big Van Vader).

“Hey guys, check it out!” Said the gravely voice, belonging to Big Van Vader. He whistled.

“Hey Leon, whatsa matter, never seen a lady before?” said Rick Rude.

“Probably not.” Laughed Arn.

“Shut up!” grunted Vader.

“Okay, all of you, calm down. This is Angelica Kerris, WCW’s new nurse.” Said Bill Watts.

“Well, Well. Ms. Kerris, I do believe you’ll be seeing many of my opponents in your infirmary, even though I’m sure you’d rather see more of me.” Said Rick Rude, kissing the air.

Vader and Arn laughed. Rick, Vader and Arn all left the dressing room. Bobby rose and said: “Welcome to WCW, Ms. Kerris. Don’t mind my friends, they’re always like that.” he smiled a little and offered her his hand. “I’m Bobby Eaton.”

“Nice to meet you, Bobby.”

“Nice to meet you too, now if you’ll excuse me I have to go join my friends.” He left and so did Bill and Angel. “He seems nice.” Angel said, Bill Watts said nothing. Bill left Angel in her office to prepare for the upcoming card. Meanwhile Bobby had caught up with Rick, Leon, and his best friend, Arn in the halls.

“Hey Bob.” Greeted Arn.

“Hey.” He said back. [good GOLLY this is going slowly. Why was I so obsessed with documenting every nicety?]

“So were you flirting with the nurse, or just sucking up to the V.P.?” teased Leon.

“Hey, Hey, Hey! Now Leon, we all know Bobby isn’t that type of guy. He was definitely hitting on her!” joked Rick.

“I was just trying to make a friend.” He said glaring at them both. “Good friends are hard to find around here” [BURN!] he said and walked away. Arn walked after him.

“Hey Bobby, lighten up. They were only joking around. Don’t you think you’re overreacting a little?” said Arn.

Bobby looked down and sighed. “I guess I am. It’s just that those guys make me so mad sometimes I could just spit nails.”

“Yeah those guys get to me too sometimes. Hey, what did go on between you and that nurse?”

“All I did was say that it was nice to meet her and I introduced myself. I don’t believe you’d actually ask me that. I expected you of all people to understand that I love my wife and wouldn’t even think of glancing at another woman like that.”

“Sorry.” Said Arn. In truth, Arn was shocked that Bobby had said that much. Bobby was a man of few words. Hey, let’s get to the gym, we’ve got to train for our match tonight.” Bobby nodded and they continued down the hall.

Bobby’s friendship with Angelica would prove to be one of the best he’d ever had. She stuck by him when things with Arn weren’t going so smoothly…….

Coming up next: Chapter 2: New Friends, New Enemies, in which Angel meets a bunch more people, most of whom you’ll never see again. Bonus: an African-American character with “street smarts” … I’m so, so, sorry, world.


Notes:

1) Y’all, Marcus Alexander Bagwell was totally a hottie back in the day.

2) Ok, Bobby Eaton. I think I can explain this one. I didn’t think he was hot, and he wasn’t a particularly exciting wrestler to watch. I was just fixated on him for a while because I read an interview in a wrestling magazine where he was described as “a man of few words.” He was indeed particularly taciturn in the interview. And that to me seemed endlessly fascinating for whatever reason. Interesting side note: I totally dated a couple guys just because I thought that because they were quiet, they were interesting. In actuality, they were either completely boring or completely crazy.

3) I know that was kind of dull. It gets better. I promise.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love that you understand dressing rooms but still imply that Ang/jel has her own office.
4 year contract? Don't write yourself into another corner!

Anonymous said...

I would like to comment on the fact that you thought Anjel was wearing a "pure white" nurse's uniform. I think they stopped doing that and switched to the "scrubs" in the 70's-80's. In any case, nice imagery.