Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chapter 33: Turning Up the Heat (Part II)

When we last left our treasured trove of characters, Bobby had just informed Chris and Angel that Arn told Linda that Bobby was cheating on her with Angel. That rogue! This news caused the roaring party to come to a crashing halt. Will it ever get back on track? Find out today in …

Chapter 33: Turning Up the Heat (Part II)


“What?” Chris exclaimed.

“You heard me.”

“Why would she believe him?” Angel asked.

“Arn’s like a brother to her. She wouldn’t believe me when I told her what Arn did to me at first. After a while, she began to accept it. Then he started to become friends with her again. She got to trusting him like she used to. Little by little, he dropped hints to her that I was seeing someone on the side. She started questioning just how faithful I was. A week ago, she confronted me and I denied it and she got angry. I don’t want to go into the details. I really don’t.”

“Then don’t,” Chris said, trying to be as gentle as possible. He didn’t know how to comfort people. That was Angel’s department. Angel, perhaps sensing this, laid her hand on Bobby’s forearm. A sudden question popped into Chris’ mind. “Bob, if Arn’s whole fight with you was sham, why is he doing this now?” [good question. I can’t believe Chris/I remembered this. Huzzah, continuity!]

Bobby heaved a deep sigh. “Arn doesn’t know that I know the truth. I guess he’s playing the part. If he stopped, I‘d think he was willing to drop the whole thing. You see?”

Chris nodded.

“You seem to have thought a lot about this,” commented Angel. [are you seriously marveling at the fact that the man has given a great deal of thought to the end of his marriage?]

Bobby nodded.

“We should talk to her,” said Chris.

“No.”

“Wait, Bobby, Chris had a good idea. Let us talk to her.”

“I dunno.”

“It’s worth a shot, Bob.”

“I dunno,” he repeated. “This is too much for me!” he got up and walked around with his forehead in his hands. Chris and Angel exchanged worried glances. Angel rose and moved over to Bobby.

“Calm down, Bobby. Everything will be allright.”

“Allright?” Bobby’s normally hushed voice grew in volume until he was at a near-shout. “Angelica! How can it ever be allright?”

She took both of his hands in hers and her eyes softened when she saw how damp his were.
“You’re telling the truth, Bobby. That’s how I know it’ll be allright.” Angel pulled him back to the couch.

“But what if it’s not? What if Arn ruined my marriage? What’ll I do?” his voice broke and tears raced down his cheeks. [you know, we haven’t had egregious crying in far too long here. Welcome back!]

Chris put a hand firmly on his shoulder. He was so glad Angel was here. He wouldn’t have known how to handle it when Bobby broke down and cried. Giving Angel a shoulder to weep on had been hard enough. He hated to see people unhappy. Angel put an arm tenderly around Bobby’s shoulders. Chris stood.

“I’ll go make some coffee,” he said.

“Thanks, Chris.”

Chris sat at Angel’s kitchen table and watched the water boil. This is about as good as watching compost form, he thought with a smile. [was that a prescient shout-out to Slice?] He could hear Bobby sobbing quietly and Angel saying soft, soothing things to calm him down. He grabbed three mugs and poured the coffee. But when he entered the living room with the cups, Bobby had his coat on and was ready to leave.

“Where you off to?” Chris asked, setting down the cups on the table.

“I gotta talk to Linda. I’m real sorry, and I appreciate you guys going to all this trouble for me but …”

“We understand, Bobby.”

“Thanks.”

“If things go sour, tell us, and we’ll talk to her, ok?”

He nodded.

“Hey, this was a going-away-again party.”

“Yeah!” Angel chimed in.

“You’re leaving Sunday, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, I am.”

Angel hugged him. “I’ll miss you Bobby.” [what will you miss? Him moping and hushtalking?]

“Miss you, too.”

“Come back and visit soon.”

“I will.”

They exchanged goodbyes again, and Bobby left.


To be continued …

NOTES:

1) So let’s recap what happened in this chapter: Angel got sobbed on and Chris felt awkward and made coffee. Everyone up to speed? Excellent.
2) Yes, Clippy. Go talk to your wife instead of sending two strangers to try to sort things out. I can’t believe you actually made a sensible decision here.

3) I wish Arn had barged in and punched everyone.

COMING UP NEXT

The title “Turning Up the Heat” takes on a new meaning as Chris and Angel make out. Seriously. Clear your schedules for next Tuesday, folks, because you will not want to miss the first make-out scene in my literary canon. The best part is, of course, that I wrote it way before I actually ever kissed, much less made out with, anyone. Therefore, it’s rather brief. And then after the non-make-out session, Chris and Angel have an incredibly stupid conversation about sex. Sweet. See you next time for …

Chapter 33: Turning Up the Heat (Part III)

3 comments:

The Carter's said...

Angel's so good about the comforting--I mean, a HAND on his ARM? What else could my dear little Clippy need?

And I still really love that this going away party was three people.

Anonymous said...

Ok, these two passages deserve major kudos:

1. "'I dunno,' he repeated. 'This is too much for me!' he got up and walked around with his forehead in his hands."

I think this may be kind of dangerous to walk around with your forehand in your hands, as you won't be able to see ahead and will be prone to bump into furniture, kitchen utensils and fellow humans. Also, I just tried doing it myself and realized it is hurting my neck.

2."She took both of his hands in hers and her eyes softened when she saw how damp his were."

Her eyes softened when she sensed how damp his hands were. Is this like a Palov dog thing?

Awesome chapter overall.

FuzzyOctopus said...

Carters - but it wasn't just anyone's hand, it was ANGEL'S hand. Obviously, waves of comfort and virtue and sunshine and joy and agave nectar just flow out of her pores.

As for the three person party ... I guess it's a testimony to how few friends Clippy has. Shocker.

Anonymoleg - Thanks for the kudos. I was a master of describing physical manifestations of emotional distress. I hope your neck has recovered.